Subtitle problems with mplayer / stationary player

opvask

I'm having problems with subtitles when doing backups of DVD VOB files. I primarily use "DeVeDe" which has always worked for me in the past.

After re authoring the VOB files the subtitles do not work in Mplayer or on my stationary Phillips player. Btw, I'm not using external subtitle files. Just the VOB files.

When playing the disc or iso:

- In Mplayer I don't get any subtitles at all. I cannot enable any either.

- When watching the movie on my Phillips player the subtitles are kinda there, but they are in black color and are hidden in front of/or behind the black bars, when viewing a movie (letterbox format).

When previewing the files in "DeVeDe" before authoring, the subtitles work perfectly. The font color is white and the position is perfect, like it should be. When viewing the final discs in Xine players like Kaffeine, subtitles also work perfectly.

The result is 100% the same when using ManDVD or other similar programs instead of DeVeDe. Most of these use programs like Mplayer and mencoder, right? I'm not sure if the problem could be with one of these programs.

Any experts in here? Everything I've tried does not help.

Cheers

opvask

What's the command you use for mplayer? IIRC you have to specify if you want to use dvd subtitles (vob files). Every other subtitle file is just a text file AFAIK.

In the mplayer man page you can find the -vobsub parameter. You have to use it with the full path to the file, plus the file name without the extension.

What's the command you use for mplayer? IIRC you have to specify if you want to use dvd subtitles (vob files). Every other subtitle file is just a text file AFAIK.

In the mplayer man page you can find the -vobsub parameter. You have to use it with the full path to the file, plus the file name without the extension.

I hardly ever use mplayer. I normally prefer xine players. The only reason I'm testing in mplayer is because "DeVeDe" has mplayer as a dependency (so one would think that it uses mplayer for previewing, where the subtitles are working). I was just wandering why they didn't work in mplayer, so I thought this could be related to the problems I'm having with the subtitles on my Philips Stationary.

From what you tell me this behavior is normal in mplayer and does not indicate a problem with the subtitles in the VOB files from the DVD.

I will try to load the subtitles manually from the CLI with mplayer, as you suggest. The subtitles are in the VOB files. They are not external "text" files like e.g. srt files.

What I don't understand is. Why are the subtitles black on the Phillips Stationary, when perfectly positioned and white during preview in DeVeDe and play in Xine/Kaffeine?

Edited by opvask