mplayer plugin/Quicktime: no sound

papaschtroumpf

I was goingto watch the iPhne video on Apple's web site to see what the fuss was all about.

I can watch the video by clicking on the link, but it has no sound

At first I thought maybe it was an issue with the MPlayer plugin, but I also downloaded the file and it also plays wtih no sound in KMPlayer

Some other video file (in DivX format) plays properly with audio in KMPlayer

I'm not sure where to even start to troubleshoot this

You can (usually) figure out what doesnt work by starting mplayer from in a terminal (use the browser to download the trailer; right-click save as once the taoiler has been downloaded and played for at least the first second or so). Then start mplayer with cpmmand 'mplayer trailer.mov' (or whatever it is called). This will spit out loads of messages, including what audio format is missing.

For quicktime trailers from Apple, this is indeed faad2. There is a package but that didnt work for me, probably because mplayer needs to have been compiled with libfaad support (which by default it is not). The mplayer from the PLF-source had this enabled. Note that its version is sometimes out of sync with mandriva's updates (at the moment for instance), so do not automatically update mplayer if rmpdrake says so...

looks like there is a package called faad2, is that it?

You should install:

faad2

libfaad2

libquicktime-faad

openquicktime

and the rest of the libquicktime plugins in the repos (PLF repos). I will also note here, that you 'should' use the mplayer from the PLF repos for this.