Firefox and CNN

jbuckley2004

Greg2

The CNN site appears to be in a transition mode. Yesterday, I was able to view commercials on their site, but no video. Today, I cannot view commercials or video. I did try to enable pop-ups as you suggested.

I see that your plugins are not in your hidden home folder, perhaps I will try to move my plugins to the same directory as yours.

It might just be best to wait a few days while CNN fine-tunes their new site. As you can see below from a CNN blog, I am not alone:

The video works better with Linux now.However, at the moment I can see only the commercials.

THANK YOU FOR DUMPING WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!!!!

For those people who don’t like all the video on the new website, here is a solution. Switch your computer operating system from Microsoft Windows to a secure Linux operating system (used by several million computer users), using the highly recommended Firefox browser and you’ll no longer have to deal with video on the new CNN website. You won’t see any. All you will see is a black box where the video is supposed to be.

The “new and improved” CNN website has completely excluded Linux/Firefox users from viewing any video, at all. The old website worked perfectly with the same system.

Fortunately for news video fans, literally every other news source website is Linux/Firefox friendly, so there are options for a favorite news website!

Edited by daniewicz

jboy:

Thanks for the reply. Somehow, I missed it when it was first posted. I will look into this useragent override thing....

Yes, and thanks everyone for all the help. I haven't had a chance to play with it (I'm going to try letting pop-ups through, and copying the .xpt file). I did notice that today I could see the ads, if not the story, without any other changes (so yes, I agree that they are still in transition).

Well the User Agent Switcher mentioned by jboy has enabled me to view video on CNN. I am not happy with the notion of misreporting my browser status, as I feel this delays the adoption of open source software. However, on the positive side, I watch the videos on CNN's site without commercials.

I watch the videos on CNN's site without commercials.

I had tried this earlier, and it didn't work. After I read this I updated my 'User Agent Switcher' to the latest version 0.6.10, and it does indeed play most of the videos without commercials. Thanks guys!