New Bugzilla on the way

dexter11

Vincent Danen started to make a new Bugzilla page. The old one got huge with time. Database is 5.2GB while the new one is 500MB so it's faster and has a cleaner interface. The old Bugzilla also has a ton of patches from Warly which nobody really knows fully now he left. You can take a look at the new Bugzilla on the test site.

More on Vincent Danen's blog and Adam Williamson's blog.

New bugzilla. Cool, but let's see if they actually get better to responding to bugs. I don't care about the interface if they still don't respond to bugs.

What's more important is they actually deal with the bugs in the first place, than getting a nice interface for logging them. Incidently, one I logged on Mandriva 2006 a long time ago (almost a year ago) didn't get responded to until recently with the response "try a newer version". Let's hope that bugs logged more recently get quicker responses.

No disrespect to dexter11, but seems they are concentrating on the wrong area, again.

Only time will tell but I can tell my experiences. I reported 2 bugs since the bug triage team started, well one of them was an enhancement request. Both of them were answered within a day and the bug is solved now. Also I reported a bug for the 2007 release which didn't get any response for months (ede outdated) and Adam has made a package and it's also solved.

Though every bug I mentioned here was trivial and I even provided a solution when I could the response time is much better.

The new Bugzilla is not just a prettier interface. If you read the blog entry in my 2nd post here about maintainer groups you can see that work could be made more effective with a well organized software.

Understand the benefits of it. Just wanted to highlight seeing them improve fixing actual bugs than the interface. Seems though from what you said, that they are doing this which is really good.

Yeah, hopefully the triage is improving. It's hard to tell from the outside.

I disagree though ianw1974, they do need a new one badly. The current one is *miserable*. Searches literally take minutes. I've written this post in the time it's taken it to load up the list of bug reports i've made. Given that to do any triage, they need to search for new bugs, and existing bugs, that'd really slow them down, and a new one should drastically improve the triage effort.

The triage is just the first step, the important bit is having the bugs *fixed*. We'll see the results of this effort in the next Mandriva release.

James

yep, we wouldn't be replacing bugzilla if the point wasn't to help improve on the actual use of it. just having it be faster will help immensely.

dexter, I've fixed up EDE quite a lot, actually, and done some customization to the menu to add stuff like the Control Center, and replace some ancient apps with more sensible alternatives. I also made a task-ede package which installs EDE and all the apps on its menus. I'm going to backport the packages to 2007 Spring, if they build cleanly there.

urpmi.cfg

{

}

main_release ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva/...ia/main/release {

hdlist: hdlist.main_release.cz

key-ids: 70771ff3

media_info_dir: media_info

}

contrib_release ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva/...contrib/release {

hdlist: hdlist.contrib_release.cz

key-ids: 78d019f5

}

non-free_release ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva/...on-free/release {

hdlist: hdlist.non-free_release.cz

}

plf-free_release ftp://ftp.mandrivausers.ro/pub/plf/2007.1...ase/binary/i586 {

hdlist: hdlist.plf-free_release.cz

key-ids: caba22ae

media_info_dir: .

}

plf-nonfree_release ftp://ftp.mandrivausers.ro/pub/plf/2007.1...ase/binary/i586 {

hdlist: hdlist.plf-nonfree_release.cz

key-ids: caba22ae

media_info_dir: .

}

main_updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updates {

hdlist

update

}

contrib_updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...contrib/updates {

hdlist

update

}

non-free_updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...on-free/updates {

hdlist

update

}

main_backports ftp://gd4.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva.../main/backports {

hdlist

ignore

key-ids: 70771ff3

}

contrib_backports ftp://gd4.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva...ntrib/backports {

hdlist

ignore

key-ids: 78d019f5

}

How could I get the full message again without reinstalling or deleting\installing ? I admit I wasn't really paying attention because I saw so many of these messages over the years.