ssh on local net

Trio3b

Several very similar threads here, but nothing helping . I had this setup working but now after upgrading to 2007 from PCLinuxOS on PC 2 I am in trouble. Here is my setup: PC1 running MDK2005, PC2 running 2007

PC1 was setup as 192.168.10.1, PC2 was setup as 192.168.10.2, PC3 192.168.10.3, etc.

-> DSL modem <-> eth0 PC1 eth1 <-> hub <-> eth0 PC2,3,4

I have ssh loaded and running on PC1 , also named, network, dhcpd and squid. I also had sftp connections using ssh from PC1 to PC2 and vice versa (for file transfer). PC1 is set to share 'net connection. I have had MDK2005 and PCLinuxOS on PC2, but wanted to try out 2007.

After fresh install of 2007 on PC2, I just check DHCP in ethernet connection wizard using MCC and am able to connect to net and then browse.

Previously, however, I used static settings in MCC ethernet wizard and entered 192.168.10.2 for PC2, 255.255.255.0 netmask and for gateway I entered 192.168.10.1 which should be PC1 and I was able to connect to net and also via sftp from PC2 to PC1 (for file sharing) . I tried changing from DHCP to static settings on PC2 and now am unable to either connect to net or reach PC1 via ssh. Also, domain is not set valid but I can't find anyplace to alter it. I have ssh and network services running on PC2 but don't see named and the dhcpd service is loaded on PC2 but I can't make it start even tho it is checked to start at boot in MCC services. Are there any packages I'm missing?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

Static addys are, in general, much easier to handle.

Have you rechecked your /etc/hosts file as well as the connection permissions? ( /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny ).

Also you should check shorewall configuration if installed,command line would be best and as root:

shorewall check

and check if any errors apear that prevents shorewall from start..

Cheers....

update....am able to connect via ssh ( sftp://192.168.10.1 in Konqueror) from PC2 to PC1 but not from PC1 to PC2. At this point PC2 is setup thru PCC using dhcp. Usually when I have loaded a new distro onto pC2 I am notified of the hosts file needs a new fingerprint.

If I setup the LAN connection on PC2 using static, nothing works including abiility to 'net connect. At least with dhcp in wizard i have the 'net.

I will try to muddy thru the hosts files.

Thanks

Back to PCLOS on PC2 and still MDK2005LE on PC1. Well, I looked at /etc/hosts, hosts.allow/deny on th PC 1 and nothing about PC2 is there. However, on PC1 in /home/user/.ssh/hosts_allow there is reference to PC2 and a fingerprint. This all happened after I removed the network interface eth0 on PC2 and then configured a new LAN connection in PCC as static which I know I had done before. I went to PCC -> manage host definitions (which I never had done before and listed PC hostname as user2.mylan, then in setting up the new LAN connection, entered it as the host name. I am able to ping and connect via .ssh from PC1 to PC2 after entering a fingerprint on PC1. I think all is ok. keeping fingers crossed.

I have all the network guides, rute guide, lnag.

Can someone please explain NOT the definitions of DNS, hostname, and DHCP (which I have ad nauseum) , but when and WHERE they are used as regards my particular setup.

Thanks