Completely remove/disable KDE gui effects?

opvask

When using Beryl in Mandriva I have a small problem. The "drop menu shadow" (kcontrol - style/effects) keeps re enabling itself everytime I log in or restart. I can disable the "menu drop shadow" effect from kcontrol, but every time I login it's enabled. It's just that particular effect.

Looks very ugly with Beryl. Is it possible in some way to completely remove this feature? Uninstall? Editing it out somewhere?

Cheers

opvask

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 3 weeks later...
If you run the KDE Control Center as root and then disable the offending gui effects, perhaps the effects will remain disabled?

I guess it will do it for root only. Besides, I checked that and it doesn't help.

Here how it looks:

• 8 months later...
Guest free.hephaestus

Wow this one has been around for some time I see. I'm using 2008.0 and this has been driving me nuts! I could not find a clean fix, so I just changed the ~/.qt/kstylerc permission to read only for owner after verifying it's settings.

It was the only way I could disable the transparent selections also. Now I can move icons around without the choppiness on this old Celeron.

I hope this helps someone...

P.S. Oh and does anyone know what the lockfiles (e.g. ~/.qt/.kstylerc.lock) are for. The results in google I found are cryptic. Are they related?