Problem with the headphones

Guest Tao

Guest kafkaMeth

Helllo, I am a new Mandriva user and recently bought a computer and uninstalled all of Windows, my computer is an HP pavillion dv6000, using Mandriva 2007.

My problem is that when I try to connect my headphones to the pc, nothing happens, the speakers keep on working as if I had never connected the headphones, and no sound comes from the headphones either. I have tried to connect different types of headphones, but with the same results, so I assume the problem is hardware or software based.

How can I configure my pc so I can use it with my headphones?

Thanx

PS I am really new at using Mandriva and have no profound skills using it...

The short answer is the version of alsa that comes with mandriva doesn't work with the sound card on your laptop. At least the headphone part. I installed pclinuxos on my COMPAQ PRESARIO 3000 just to have the headphone volume work right. I check back with a mandriva live cd once in a while to see if the problem is fixed, but so far I haven't had any luck.

As I understand things it points to a hardware problem, as in the connection to the sound card. I'm certainly interested to learn how alsa controls whether the audio is routed through the speakers or the headphones. Surely plugging in a set of headphones operates a mechanical jack plug socket to cut off the speakers and connect the headphones, or am I not up to speed with things these days? :huh:

Guest kafkaMeth

Ok, I tried installing the newest alsa version, and it just made matters worse, I do not know what to do, maybe I might just give up and switch to windows...

Please Help

I'd suggest go back to a clean installation now that you've put a new version of alsa on. Was it source you compiled or rpm packages? If so remove the rpm packages and use the defaults. Latest packages in Mandriva can be obtained by enabling the backports repositories, although these might not be completely stable, but I've never had problems with them.

Incidently, have you tried a Live CD? Ubuntu 7.04 uses a 2.6.20.x kernel. What Mandriva are you using? 2007.0 or 2007.1 Spring? This also, would be a good idea to check and test if it's using a later kernel than 2.6.17.x which was in 2007.0.

Incidently, with Mandriva 2007.0 sound didn't work on my laptop, yet I have it working now. I have an Intel HDA Audio card, and use only standard packages. Took me months to get it working eventually, because my laptop was so new, no-one had experienced it. I had luck using google regularly on this subject.

If you are going to give up easily, maybe Linux isn't for you. Linux can be a challenge, with hardware, and the learning curve can be steep, but the rewards from sticking at it are far worth it.

• 1 year later...
Guest manio23
As I understand things it points to a hardware problem, as in the connection to the sound card. I'm certainly interested to learn how alsa controls whether the audio is routed through the speakers or the headphones. Surely plugging in a set of headphones operates a mechanical jack plug socket to cut off the speakers and connect the headphones, or am I not up to speed with things these days? :huh:

This is definately not a hardware problem as my phones work fine in Windows. I have experienced the same issue in Ubuntu and switched to Mandriva in hope of a resolve. This is the only problem that stops me from migrating to any Linux system completely. It is particularly specific to the Intel (Realtek) HDA sound. I tried all the posts on the ubuntu forums with no succes. I can only hope that an update will arrive.