Using smart - a few problems

opvask

I'm growing a bit tired of rpmdrake these days, so I wanted to try using Smart for a while, as an alternative. I would really like to use the "GUI way" while rpmdrake is being improved, so I figured Smart would be the solution (or even the old rpmdrake).

It seems to be a nice program but I'm having a few issues. Hopefully someone here can explain me how to do this. I already looked at the Smart WIKI, but I didn't find the info I needed.

1. If I select "Upgrade all packages" I get a list of upgrades. How can I remove/de-select something from this list? Like a kernel update I do not want right now.

2. I have setup the channels, but where can I select if some sources (like PLF free/nonfree) should only be used for installs and NOT updates?

Other than these "problems" it seems to be a nice program.

Can someone solve this for me? :D

I used smart on 2007 but now I find rpmdrake less and less buggier with the updates and I use it almost exclusively now.

IIRC you just can't do the No 1 at least not on this version. you have to cancel update and unselect the unwanted updates and then start the update again.

Also I don't know a permanent setting like that in smart for No 2. You can use File\Update selected channels instaed of just Update channels.

I used smart on 2007 but now I find rpmdrake less and less buggier with the updates and I use it almost exclusively now.

IIRC you just can't do the No 1 at least not on this version. you have to cancel update and unselect the unwanted updates and then start the update again.

Also I don't know a permanent setting like that in smart for No 2. You can use File\Update selected channels instaed of just Update channels.

It is less buggy. I still get the occasional issues with it though. Another thing is the lack of information during installs or upgrading.

Thanks for the tip on #2. I think I'll do just that.

:)