wireless usb network cards [solved]

orts

Hi

If I don't find a quicker solution, then i'll have to buy a wireless networkcard and I have looked on these cards, but I would like to know if they are compatible with Mandriva 2007 Spring.

D-Link DWL-G122

ZyXEL DWL-G202

I really hope that someone knows about these two produkt will work on Mandriva Linux?

Regards

Orts

With wireless, if the native Linux driver does nothing, you can always use ndiswrapper, which utilizes the windows driver.

DWL-122: According to what I read briefly, ndiswrapper will work with this device.

There's no need for ndiswrapper with the D-Link Adapter, if it is Revision B (Revision A is using the Intersil Prism chip, which is natively supported by a kernel module since a long time ago, and which one should avoid at all costs, even for windows usage! :P ).

I know that because I have a very similar one by Asus (wl-167g).

Both use the Ralink 2500 series chip, which has native Linux support.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourri...html#Ralink2500

I'm not completely sure about the Zyxel adapter, but it seems it's using a ZyDAS 1211 chip, which seems to have a native driver:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourri...1ag.html#ZD1211

There's no need to say, methinks, that Zyxel makes much better products, quality-wise, than D-Link.

Edited by scarecrow

I have the D-Link DWL-G122 adapter, and it works rather OK with Spring. That is, it installs without problems, and runs fine - as long as you're not too far from the router.

If there is a ZD1211 chip in the Zyxel card (as scarecrow thinks), that one should install fine as well. I have a 3Com 3crusb10075 with a zd1211, and it's a really great adapter - the range is much better than the D-link (of course, that may not be just because of the chip).

Thanks for your answers.

Then it will be the Zyxel card that I'll use.

The last week I've been setting up a wireless network (windows computers) for my brother in law, and I started out with a D-Link router 624 something, and D-Link 520+ wireless network cards, but all the network cards ended out with Linksys something, because the D-Link cards only could see the network and not submit to it, the Linksys cards runs with 36 Mbps without any Access points or repeters.

Then a IT-admin (expert in network) came by with complet system in Zyxel, both router and network cards, and it could run with 54 Mbps ;-) We Keeped the D-Link and Linksys, but next time I have to setup a wireless network it will be with Zyxel, it's simply better.

when all else fails there is always www.linuxant.com

i know a lot of folks using linux HATE paying for stuff, but I found these guys a few years ago and have never looked back.

for ME their installation routine is the easiest, most reliable one out there, and for ME the throughput has always seemed faster than native support OR ndiswrapper, but thats just me.

the thing i REALLY like is that I use it on my laptop, which goes through no LESS than 5 different distros' and Linuxant ties your license to your MAC address, so as long as i continue to use the internal card, its all good@

as long as i continue to use the internal card, its all good@
Well, that's exactly the problem - if you *don't* have a built-in card (like me).

I was depending on LinuxAnt up until Mdv 2007.0 (which supported all three cards I have). LinuxAnt was OK as a last resort, but I'm really glad to be rid of it.