Before, and right after installing

Guest Hydro

Guest Hydro

Well this seems to be the best place to put this at, since it revolves around several issues.

Firstly, my upper-most concern would be driver support.

I especially need driver-support for these two: Logitech G5, ATi Radeon 9600XT.

Secondly, since I will be using Linux and Windows, I would very much like to be able to access my Windows partitions, as it contains many stuff I could use while on Linux (i.e. songs). I've seen this is possible (through /dev/hda, and stuff like that), but it keeps saying I have no rights to do so, even though I'm the only user. I tried logging in as root, it says it's not possible. So I tried giving myself root-access, but that didn't work either. What am I missing?

Third, I would also like to run some .exe files... What's the best way to emulate this with? Wine? I've heard of several others though, so any help would be appreciated.

Fourth; I'm using Firefox in Windows aswell. I'd like to transfer my bookmarks - how would I accomplish this?

And finally, I'm using the '3D desktop' which is very cool, but is there a way I could "zoom out" to view the cube entirely?

Best regards, and thanks for any kind of help,

-Hydro

Edited by Hydro

What's the Logitech G5? A mouse? Should be fine by default to an extent. As for your ATI card, it may work by installing the dkms-ati packages. You can get this through clicking the star, then System and Configure Your Computer and then install software.

Installing Mandriva should have given you access to the Windows partition, although if it is NTFS you will only have read-only access. There are drivers for read/write access, but I would say they aren't stable enough for major writing as of yet, and I simply wouldn't recommend it at all. If you want to read/write the partition should be FAT32. Post the contents of /etc/fstab so we can see where you are going wrong.

Yes, wine, although not all apps will work. Check the winehq website to see if the exe you want to run is supported.

It is possible to transfer this, you'll have to find it somewhere under C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data. The format in Linux might be difficult, but you have the option in Firefox to export bookmarks anyway, and I'm sure if you put them on a USB stick you can import them easily enough when in Linux.

Some shortcuts for the XGL.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Desktop/Accelerated_Desktop

or google xgl keyboard mouse shortcuts. I did find a great one on this a while back, but can't find it now.

EDIT:

Thought the gentoo howto would have all the shortcuts :P

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz

just scroll down, read and use the ones you need to do what you wish. There is an option to flatten the cube, I think it's CTRL-ALT-DOWN-ARROW from memory.

Guest Hydro

Thanks for your help.

Logitech G5 is a gaming mouse, with several options (i.e. DPI change-buttons, thumb-button, scroll wheel left, scroll wheel right).

As for ATi drivers - it said something about dependencies, and other packages to download... It gave me a long list there, and I had no idea what to pick.

fstab contains this:

/dev/hdb5 / ext3 noatime 1 1

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0

I'm still not able to explore into my NTFS drives. (I just want to read from them).

This also postpones my Bookmarks...

I'll look into those links ;) Thanks!

OK, seems your system hasn't mounted it automatically. You can go into System/Configure/Configure Your Computer, and in here is a tool for creating, editing and mounting partitions. You can then go into here. You'll get a gui interface, then you can click the Windows partition, and then select to mount it, and it should then put an entry in your /etc/fstab file for each time you reset your system.

Guest Hydro
OK, seems your system hasn't mounted it automatically. You can go into System/Configure/Configure Your Computer, and in here is a tool for creating, editing and mounting partitions. You can then go into here. You'll get a gui interface, then you can click the Windows partition, and then select to mount it, and it should then put an entry in your /etc/fstab file for each time you reset your system.

Well that didn't quite work, as the only thing I've seen related to "mount" was "mount point".

I eventually found this wiki page which helped me configuring it for boot and manually aswell.

Going back to the ATi Drivers, I wonder if the ones provided from www.ati.com will do.

And, I've yet to find anything to configure my G5 with... Any help there?

Guest Hydro

Ok cool. I also solved the ATi problem I believe.

Thanks for your help.

Now 3 more issues I've had so far:

A) When using the Instant Messenger, whenever I receive a new message - it pops up instead of just flashing. I couldn't find the settings for this anywhere.

B) Every once in a while, KDE Window Decorator crushes:

The application KWD (kde-window-decorator) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).

Any ideas on this?

C) I'm also struggling to find how to install windows fonts. Is there a package with this?

Edited by Hydro

Ok cool. I also solved the ATi problem I believe.

Thanks for your help.

Now 3 more issues I've had so far:

A) When using the Instant Messenger, whenever I receive a new message - it pops up instead of just flashing. I couldn't find the settings for this anywhere.

B) Every once in a while, KDE Window Decorator crushes:

Any ideas on this?

C) I'm also struggling to find how to install windows fonts. Is there a package with this?

Yes, look in the install software application and search for ttf. There will probably be one like msttfconffonts or ttf-fonts or something that you can install. I don't have access to a Mandriva system right now to check.