EC threat to BBC over downloads

Reiver_Fluffi

I pay my license fee just like everyone else, I should not be discriminated against because I choose not to support a monopoly that the govenrments of this world have allowed to happen.
I know I'm going off on a tangent - but what about all non-British watchers?

Is there really a solution that would support DRM on a global scale on, let's say, Linux?

I know Linus personally finds DRM acceptable, but, as far as I now, we're not there yet.

And I think it's the DRM that's the problem in this case, not the platforms as such.

(Just to make it perfectly clear - I *don't* support DRM).

Find it odd that they cannot commit to sorting out players for other OS's within two years!

When the broadband player was approved, the corporation's governing body asked the BBC to ensure that the iPlayer could run on different systems - such as Apple Macs - within "a reasonable time frame", initially twenty-four months.

The BBC has previously said it cannot commit to a two-year time frame as many decisions would have to be made by third parties.

I mean, how long can it take to sort one out? I would expect it could be done relatively quickly, probably in half the time frame if not more. To me, is just some bull$hit excuse and cop out to actually providing alternatives to people who don't want to have an OS forced on them. As well as DRM.

Incidently, if you record it from the TV you don't have the DRM problem of having it wiped from your system after 30 days.

To me, is just some bull$hit excuse and cop out to actually providing alternatives to people who don't want to have an OS forced on them. As well as DRM.
I'm not saying that I buy their excuses, I'm just saying that DRM is the issue, and that they probably never will make the stuff available until there is a DRM system that works well enough not to make it a problem.

Btw, I think they will try to stop the TV recording loophole as well. I fear that almost everything will be DRM'd within a few years (but I hope I'm wrong).

I'm not sure how they can stop the TV recording thing. Practically everyone has a VCR and the whole purpose was so that you could record stuff. The same as giving the VideoPlus service of being able to type in a code which would know when to start and stop the recording process.

Then, the advent of DVD came about, and now you can record to DVD as well from the TV. I think it highly unlikely they could even do this. Too many people have too many VCR's or DVD recorders and it has gone on so long now to be able to record at home. To try and enforce this would be practically impossible, and a complete waste of time and resources for the Police or whoever is going to even attempt to do this.

70 odd million in the UK? All gonna be forced and stopped to record things? Unlikely.

70 odd million in the UK? All gonna be forced and stopped to record things? Unlikely.
Let's not forget the ~6,600 million outside the UK ;)

I really hope that you're right and that I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that the BBC will agree.

Of course, there's always more outside the UK that can view over satellite :)

I don't think the BBC would attempt to do this. However, TV as a whole could morph into a completely different service. With the advocate of the digital revolution, DRM will probably be built into any new appliances. Therefore, being able to record would be extremely limited, or you find one day that you pop in your video tape and find it gets erased. Thank god for DVD-R, at least it can be played, but then the equipment could then refuse to play it. And even then, people would be pissed off at a completely different entity instead of the BBC. It's more likely to be done by the manufacturers of the equipment, than a broadcaster.

Moral of this is, don't throw away your equipment and store lots of TV's, VCR's and DVD players in your attic ready to replace what breaks. That way you can stay out of using DRM equipment for the long term :lol2:

Unfortunately, not a practical solution.

DRM will probably be built into any new appliances. Therefore, being able to record would be extremely limited, or you find one day that you pop in your video tape and find it gets erased. Thank god for DVD-R, at least it can be played, but then the equipment could then refuse to play it.
I'm afraid that's the way it's going :sad:
Moral of this is, don't throw away your equipment and store lots of TV's, VCR's and DVD players in your attic ready to replace what breaks. That way you can stay out of using DRM equipment for the long term :lol2: Unfortunately, not a practical solution.
Not very ;)

I tend to keep some old stuff at hand, though. I haven't used my VCR in years, but I won't throw it away, either. Heck, I even got a brand new 5 1/4" floppy disk player somewhere :D

• 2 weeks later...

According to The Register, the BBC Trust has asked to meet open source advocates to discuss their complaints over the corporation's Windows-only on demand broadband TV service.

The development came less than 48 hours after a meeting between the Open Source Consortium (OSC) and regulators at Ofcom on Tuesday.

It's been going that way for years, but it's long been clear that it doesnt work. Macrovision and CSS (DVD), HDCP and AACS (bluray/hddvd). They've each been broken and proven flawed.

DRM is a dead end. Each iteration will be broken, with the downside that it will somewhat inconvenience consumers for a short while.

James

According to The Register, the BBC Trust has asked to meet open source advocates to discuss their complaints over the corporation's Windows-only on demand broadband TV service.

The development came less than 48 hours after a meeting between the Open Source Consortium (OSC) and regulators at Ofcom on Tuesday.

Interesting, if the last few months are anything to go by, the beeb ain't exactly flavour of the month as far as Ofcom is concerned.

• 6 months later...

I've been trying to educate people that DRM is simply locking up content with a key, then giving the content AND the key to the consumer (in a obscured form).

Maybe when the futility of DRM becomes commonly understood, then companies will *finally* adapt their business models to changing times.