I am trying to install gtk to my system and I am continuing to get this error message.

I installed all of the dependencies with no install errors, but continue to get the error.

Can anyone explain to me how to fix this?

checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package
requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.7.1	atk >= 1.0.1	pango >= 1.9.0	cairo >=
0.9.2) were not met.
Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS and
BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS environment variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for
more details.

I've given it another try. So far, no luck. I downloaded all the dependencies from the gtk site. Still getting the error /cry

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The reason you are getting the errors is because you need the -devel packages, not just the standard binary packages, to build. But, as scarecrow pointed out, you shouldn't need to compile GTK yourself, you should be able to get it from the repositories. I assume you are using Mandriva? If so, just go into Mandriva Control Center (aka Configure Your Computer) and under Software then Install Software simply do a search for gtk.

Man, still no luck. I got all the SW from the gui based updater. I the SW i'm trying to install still tells me that it can't find GTK even if it is checked on the system. from the following error.

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0... Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

It's similiar to the other error mentioned above.

I've done some research on these *.pc files and pkg-config and made an attempt to change the directory where it find or looks for them.

Very wierd problem.

As Greg says, libgtk+2.0_0-devel is the package you need. And as the others said, it's rarely a good idea to build software from scratch on Mandriva (not that it's not possible, just that there's usually an easier way to do whatever it is you want to do). Please do read:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...moving_software

in its entirety.