Lotsa Problems After Putting in New MOBO/CPU

Pepse

I upgraded my motherboard from a Gigabyte AMD type MOBO to a Gigabyte socket 775 MOBO with a Celeron D 3.33 Ghz CPU. That is the only major change, everything else is still the same; RAM, snd card, Vid card, hard drive. Mandriva runs like crap. It loads alot slower and the Bookmarks tab in Mozilla 2.0.0.4 freezes Mozilla when trying to click the tab (mozilla's only help is all win related). When trying to send anything to the trash it takes a few (yes a FEW) minutes. So, as for Mozilla I figured I would remove it and re-install it from the DVD. It sorta re-installed. Because I removed Mozilla through the package removal area it also removed a lot of files like parts of Open Office, and some other things. When trying to re-install all those things, which amounts to 1.1 Gigabytes (200 plus files), it gets about 1/3 of the way loading then it hangs and won't do anything else. So, after a lot of frustration I decided to re-install MDV. Well, I can't do that as when it gets to the partitioning the hard drive it hangs there and does nothing. What in the heck is going on??? It is acting more like windows 98 than Linux. I was able to get my win XP hard drive going good. I never had this happen with MDK Os's. They detected everything new and boom I was running in no time.

Later. Pepse.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I'm getting ready to do a similar thing, and I always perform an "upgrade" installation. It generally makes the experience painless.

I'm getting ready to do a similar thing, and I always perform an "upgrade" installation. It generally makes the experience painless.

This may sound like a silly question.

but did you d a reinstall after you installed the new mmb and cpu?

i'm not familar with your new or old ones (AMD man myself) but i DO know that when i went from a 3GHZ single cpu system to a 3.6GHZ duo core, my XANDROS install worked, but not well.

I even tried X4's "fix" but it wasnt until I did a complete FFR that i was aboe to get really GOOD performence.

and what I found additioonally was that my new MB has significantly less cache than my old one (my fault when i bought it :wall: but THAT makes the boot time FOREVER, but once things are up, it rund better than ever.

j

After a major change in hardware, like a motherboard and processor, I have always found that performing an "upgrade" install worked quite well. Others have found no issue after fiddling with hard drake, but I think my method is simpler. I am moving from an nforce2 /1800xp to an nforce4SLI/ AMD64 X2 3800+ dual core. Theoretically, it should work well, since i am not using any 64 bit stuff.

mindwave, it's not as big a deal as you might think. I believe what Ixthusdan is referring to is an upgrade install. You put in your mandriva install cd/dvd, boot up with it and select the "upgrade" option. The install routine will detect the presence of the prior install and offer the upgrade option. You don't select any new software to install and the whole deal can be done in 15 minutes. Essentially, all the install routine does is redetect your hardware and reconfigure for that new hardware. I've used this method myself when changing mb/cpu and it works great.

As for the Cache, I think the 256 megs of cache should be more, or the same, as the 1.33 Ghz AMD XP CPU I had in the old board. I got to thinking that I will wait until later in the week, unless my next point is deemed unneccessary, as I have a power supply that is less than what Gigabyte recommended for this mobo. I am under the minimum Amperage on 2 of 3 areas. And I do occasionally get a beep code for the power supply. But now that I think of it I seem to remember that this Kernel 2.6.17, has problems with APIC. So I will probably just go ahead and upgrade Tuesday. I just found out a while ago that LINDVD doesn't work when trying to play a movie.

So, unless it is deemed neccessary for me to wait until I get the new PS in I'll go for it tomorrow.

Later. Pepse.

With newer setups, including PCIe and duo-core cpu's, the power supply is critical. I recommend replacing that, rather than risking damage to the new equipment. On the other hand, a good power supply performs above its minimum rating.

Well, I put in a power supply and tried to do an upgrade, but like before it would just hang when it got to the partitioning screen. So, I rebooted and went with the noapic, but it still wouldn't do an "upgrade". So, I rebooted and went with noapic and formatted/installed MDV again. It worked but with one nagging problem. It will not shut down unless I push the button. This Gigabyte mobo has an Intel 865 chipset. Any ideas? Or should I just wait until MDV 2008, and hope they have a Kernel that can deal with APIC?

Later. Pepse.