Miniminsing startup apps to system tray

Hey guys, not really specific to any distro, just gnome. I have a couple of programs that start up when I log in to gnome (transmission and pidgin), but ideally I would like them to go straight to the system tray, rather than see them in the immediate workspace. Anyone know how to do this (if possible) through gnome sessions, other than saving the last session?

Gnome version is 2.18 with compiz 3.6, all running on Fedora 7

Cheers (and there's a :beer: for the first to answer)

for KDE you could use kdocker. maybe check out their website for a gnome equivalent?

Edit: Apparently, kdocker works with GNOME too; see http://kdocker.sourceforge.net/

That's not quite what I was getting at, or at least I don't think so. The apps in question already have a system tray icon, I was wondering whether there's a arguement, like a gnu switch or similar for gnome, that could force the application to minimise to the system tray.

That's not quite what I was getting at, or at least I don't think so. The apps in question already have a system tray icon, I was wondering whether there's a arguement, like a gnu switch or similar for gnome, that could force the application to minimise to the system tray.

Kdocker does exactly that - it forces applications to minimise to the system tray.