2.6.22-ck1 will be the last -ck ever

dexter11

2.6.22-ck1 will be the last -ck ever.

For those who don't know, ck is a patchset made by Con Kolivas. This patchset is "designed to improve system responsiveness with specific emphasis on the desktop, but suitable to any workload."

Although Con Kolivas gave no reason whatsoever, you can find some speculation in the wiki.

source: hup.hu

I've been pretty disappointed lately by the death of some nice patchsets. The first one to go was one developed by our very own iphitus, the -beyond patchset, which IIRC used a lot of what was in the CK patchset. Soon we're only going to have vanilla kernels :(

I mainly use CK kernels, so I'm also somewhat dissapointed, but anyway the vanilla 2.6.21 has most goodies CK was aimed at providing- so I sort of understand this decision.

The reason is (probably) that Con Kolivas isn't a programmer after all, but a doctor, and he won't get hurt by abandoning the patchset... although I personally don't find the scaling patch debate between CK and IM a reason serious enough to justify such a decision.