Powersave vs. HAL

So far people have been very helpful reminding me that there are definitely reasons why I like MUB way more than other forums.

So I'm using Kpowersave (Even with other desktops because I like the interface) to manage some power settings. I'm getting right at 5 hours battery life (I know, I know, why am I messing with this?...). I initally started using Kpowersave (since I was KDE and it was the upgrade from klaptop_acpi_helper). I ASSUMED that Kpowersave was using the powersave daemon. I was however wrong in that Kpowersave uses ACPI/APM settings in conjunction with HAL (according to this link). The powersave site says that Kpowersave uses this, but is almost USELESS while using HAL (such as the gnome app for this as well). Apparently, they say, that the power management in HAL is simplistic. But, hey, I'm getting good battery life with browsing, etc. Why should I care?

So concordant to another thread, I download a tickless kernel and install it. My battery life actually did improve. Not by tons but to the 5 hours I'm getting now. I had also read that the Intel PowerTOP app was good to use with the tickless kernel to see what was bringing the laptop out of it's lower-power regime. (I got this from the devel Fedora repo, which is not always advisable.) One of the recommendations was that HAL was crippling the SATA drive built-in power settings and causing the laptop to come out of it's lower consumption modes.

I know that HAL is the "Hardware Abstraction Layer" and is meant to make things plug-innable (as one of it's major selling points). I also know that a lot of things rely on HAL now. So what happens if I remove HAL? Am I better off with powersave?

Any suggestions,

Jon