No boot without ethernet cable?

Guest pipplo

Guest pipplo

I got 9.0 installed on my laptop. It works great...as long as I have the ethernet cable connected..howeer if I do not have an ethernet cable connected after

"bring up interface eth0" it says that it failed and asks if i have a cable conencted...then says

"Starting pcmcia:" and just stops. No disc access or anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Did what i say make sense?

thanks

btw, the eth0 is just dhcp

I had a similar problem with my laptop which uses a pcmcia nic card to connect to my cable modem. Try going into Mandrake Control Center>Network & Internet>DrakConnect. Tick the "Expert Mode" button and then tick "Configure Local Area Network". In the popup window for LAN Configuration select "No" in the Start on boot field. That worked for me. The only down side is when you do want to connect to the internet you have to go into mcc again to activate the network but that's pretty easy to do.

Since the network is already configured and working (I assume), I think you only have to disable the service to start at boot time. So open the MCC, go 'System' and 'Services' and uncheck the 'network' box. This will prevent your system to start the network at boot time. If you want to start it then go MCC, go 'System' and 'Service' and press 'start'.

I guess that should work.

Motts

Guest pipplo

Hey guys

I tried what you two suggested and it works. But then i got to thinking it's stalling on the pcmcia detection for somereason, but only if the eth0 failed so I removed the pcmcia service from the boot because i dont' have any cards to use yet.

Hopefully i'll be able to figure out a way around this

Is there a way to setup two boots from the boot screen so that say 1 selection will have the eth0 at startup and one won't?

• 2 weeks later...

1)You can make one boot option boot into run-level 4, and using drakxservices you can turn off the offending services, and turn on the ones you need (dm for example). Then, make a new bootloader option, and just add '4' (without the quotes) to the end of the append line for that boot option.

2)You say you don't have PCMCIA cards, so your NIC is on-board? Many of the on-board cards support ifstatus/ifplugd, which detects when the cable is connected, and only tries to start the network if you are connected. ifplugd is integrated into 9.1, so this may work for you.

BTW, I don't think your machine is hanging. If you have set your network up for dhpc, I think it is just waiting for the dhcp timeout. Leave it for about 2 minutes, to see if it continues ...