New Kernel For LiveCD

Guest wyoming

Guest wyoming

We would like to use MCN on our new computers, but because hardware issues with the new computers we have bought, we need to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.21 and would need to customize this kernel to fit our new hardware.

I complied a new kernel "2.6.21.5", and it went great, with one exception, we were unable to remaster that kernel into a live cd, we have 42 machines and would be great to be able to use a live cd with the new kernel to install all the default settings on each machine so that we don't spend hours of time on each machine installing and compiling.

So Far my research has indicated that the kernel needs to be compiled with Aufs, Squashfs. but this alone has not worked.

Can anyone help me in some instructions in compiling the kernel with the ability to remaster into a livecd.

Thanks for any help

[moved from tips and tricks - tyme]

I would suggest that the easiest thing to do (and this may not be as easy as I think, depending on what the default kernel is in MCN) is to copy over the old .config file from the default kernel to the new kernel, and do make oldconfig to build using the old config file (it will ask you about any new settings), that will help ensure that you get the same settings. It may not resolve your issue, but it's worth a try, if you haven't tried already.

wyoming, am I right that you are using MCNLive as a base system, and the included mklivecd scripts to create the new live cd?

Then you need at least the following modules/patches:

squashfs, bootsplash, unionfs

In addition it is very important, as tyme already adviced, that you use the 2.6.17-13 kernel config.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't it be easier to install or make a new kernel to run it as a default but keep the original MCNlivecd kernel to boot from it when you need to make the ISO? You can have more than one kernel installed at the same time. Maybe the ISO is not going to fit on a CD but it can be burned on a DVD anyway.

wyoming, am I right that you are using MCNLive as a base system, and the included mklivecd scripts to create the new live cd?

Then you need at least the following modules/patches:

squashfs, bootsplash, unionfs

In addition it is very important, as tyme already adviced, that you use the 2.6.17-13 kernel config.

Aren't squashfs and unionfs a part of the normal 2.6.17-13 kernel in Mandriva? Ie, why do they need to be added?

He compiled his own kernel, not a Mandriva kernel. That's why.

I thought he said that he compiled the Mandriva 2.6.21.4mdv which I assume is from cooker, which should contain squashfs and unionfs.

I am confused by the previous comment that one can have more than one kernel available to boot from. Where would this arise in the boot process of MCN-- ie where could you select the appropriate kernel. Does MCN use lilo or grub to set up the boot process from the usb or cdrom?

I too would like to set up a new kernel, so I can use this to test various laptops I am thinking of buying. but some have for example the intel 4965 wireless chip which I believe only has support from the iwl driver, which only works with the later kernels.

Ie, how does one set up MCN to boot from an alternative kernel?

There is no options (with the mklivecd scripts) to boot more than one kernel.

But you can install a second kernel on the running live system, and then tell the mklivecd build command to use this second kernel for building the new iso.

example:

mklivecd --kernel 2.6.21-2mdv

"2.6.21-2mdv" is an example, you need to find out the exact naming, and because you can't reboot on a live system, the uname -r is giving the old running kernel, you need to look at:

/lib/modules/kernel/nameofdirectory

nameofdirectory would be the argument, thus: --kernel nameofdirectory

The result will be a live iso with this new kernel.

Edited by chris:b

Sounds good. will try it. I assume you meant /lib/modules/nameofdirectory

eg

/lib/modules/2.6.21-4mdv/

in my case

(By the way, on istalling this kernel from cooker, the claim was that there was a conflict with the drakxtools-backend on 2007.1

I finally installed --nodeps, assuming that kernels are kernels, but does anyone know if this conflict is serious?

Thanks

In your case the argument would be: mklivecd --kernel 2.6.21-4mdv ....

A cooker kernel btw won't work. They are now using a modulair IDE kernel. The mklivecd scripts are not yet prepared to boot such a kernel on a live system.

If you can find a backported MDV kernel in the official 2007.1 repos, in contrib/backports, then maybe.

But it will break most likely more stuff, ndiswrapper, fuse, wireless drivers. I don't know.

i

A cooker kernel btw won't work. They are now using a modulair IDE kernel. The mklivecd scripts are not yet prepared to boot such a kernel on a live system.

If you can find a backported MDV kernel in the official 2007.1 repos, in contrib/backports, then maybe.

But it will break most likely more stuff, ndiswrapper, fuse, wireless drivers. I don't know.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that the ide drivers are now placed as modules, rather than compiled into the kernel, and that this causes problems?

Also not sure why the more recent kernels would break other stuff. Has the kernel really changed that drastically with the 2.6.2x versions/

As a followup-- the reason I want the 2.6.21 or 22 kernels is because I vaguely remember reading that the iwl wireless drivers and the mac80211

subsystem required the new kernels. Do you know if that is true, or can they be compiled for the 2.6.17 kernel and work?

Thanks

If anything, don't use the 2.6.17 config. It's so horribly dated (why are you still using that guys? it's over a year old), it won't work all too well with 2.6.22.

2.6.17 is what Mandriva uses in 2007.1 They have no newer kernel. And apparently the 2.6.21 kernel used in cooker has changed too many things to be useable with MCNLine, as above.

I am sure not going to go through a later kernel and fill in all of the approx 2000 almost incomprehensibel options. I have better things to do with 5 hours of my time.

If you have some useful suggestions as to how I can make a kernel that the mac80211 module can be compiled on and that will work with MCNLive I would love to hear them.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.