Desktop problems

Guest jtouso

Guest jtouso

Hi,

MCN Toronto installed on hd without any problem. Fast, pretty and easy.

A problem: A little screen with desktop square on my principal screen and the same on taskbar. I have choose only one desktop but I have 9 desktop. If I try to reduce the desktop number, it is impossible because is only one to choose and I continue with the same 9 desktops.

Thanks

Jose

Guest jtouso

Yes I have Metisse enable. I quit it and the problem dissapears. If I use the others effects (cube rotation) I dont have the problem,

I dont know how to make a screenshot, sorry, but I try to explain again: You can have as desktop as you want moving the arrow on desktop selection and it is seeing on taskbar as little square near the clock on right corner. If I want to reduce the desktop numbers, I do the same operation until I arrive to only one desktop (virtual desktop). Ok? What is happens is without any selection by me, the number of desktop are 9, and also it is present on the principal screen on the right corner position over the taskbar, 3 x3 big box with 9 little boxes (like microsoft excel table). I try to erase but it is impossible and if I try by Desktop propities also I cant. I have only 1 desktop (minimal option) but I continue with the 9 little boxes on the right side on the taskbar near the clock and also a big box 3 x 3 in the desktop also on the righ side but over the taskbar.

It is possible to erase all the desktops (virtual)?

Thanks

Ah, ok. It is Metisse. Thanks!

You see the desktop pager on the main screen/background, and you see it in the panel/systray.

Yes I have Metisse enable. I quit it and the problem dissapears.

I think that is how Metisse is supposed to work. And I wonder too why there are always 9 desktops.

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the Metisse desktop.

You can't get rid of the pagers on the main screen when using metisse, but you can disable showing the virtual desktop in the systray:

Disable metisse and 3 D desktop, login to normal kde, right click on the panel -> remove from panel -> applet ->...

Next time you enable metisse, the nine squares won't show up in the systray.

Guest jtouso

Thanks

I did tou recomended and now is working better, without the 9 little screens on my taskbar and it is present the desktop on main screen.

Why Metisse works in this manner? Is it impossible to erase from main screen?

Jose

• 2 months later...

Hi Jose, that's part of how metisse works. If you zoom out from your desktop, ('windows' or 'start' key and mousewheel scroll) you'll see you are actually working on a HUGE virtual desktop. You can move your current view around with your mouse, or the arrow keys. Individual windows (firefox, evolution, etc) can be pinned to certain areas of the board. I really like it, though certain features are difficult to use. Try typing /usr/share/metisse/doc/docs/using.html into your browser, or navigate there yourself (on your local disk). That will explain the features. Otherwise, my choice desktop has been Beryl. Really easy to use, and highly intuitive. I wouldn't consider Metisse unless you are really keen to use it's particular features. To change, open MCC, click Hardware, click 3D, then choose 3D desktop. Under that menu is either beryl or compiz. That will also fix the nine 'virtual desktops' on your main screen. Cheers!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.