Need some help with Debian [solved]

I just keep it simple and give the machine a static IP instead of using DHCP and reservations :)
I prefer to use DHCP so that all the values get passed down, say, if DNS servers change for my ISP (not likely) or if I mess with the IP settings for my network on the router. It takes a lot less time to do DHCP with reservations than to go to all my boxen and set up static IP's with proper DNS, etc. etc. - and any changes I make will get passed down.

The odd thing is that when I booted into windows to see if wireless worked it worked immediately. And I have wep encryption set so it shouldn't have worked until I changed the key. But it did. :huh:

I prefer to use DHCP so that all the values get passed down, say, if DNS servers change for my ISP (not likely) or if I mess with the IP settings for my network on the router. It takes a lot less time to do DHCP with reservations than to go to all my boxen and set up static IP's with proper DNS, etc. etc. - and any changes I make will get passed down.

I don't have this problem. My router gets all the IP info from the ISP. My firewall is between me and my desktops/laptops and my wireless access point is also connected to the firewall. I use proxy DNS on the firewall, so that the firewall gives the DNS to my machines. Of course, if the DNS does change, then I have to look at the router, and then modify the firewall accordingly, but it hasn't happened yet in the last two years. So for me, only one change to make.

Of course, I understand yours doesn't need any changes now, but took a bit more to get it all set up :)

Of course, I understand yours doesn't need any changes now, but took a bit more to get it all set up :)
I think in all it took checking one box for a each system I wanted to reserve an IP for and clicking a "Save Changes" button, all done via my browser on my firewall in about 2 minutes...vs. going to all of my computers and setting them separately, which would take more than 2 minutes considering all of my systems have more than 1 OS on them. I tend to try new OS's or do reinstalls on my systems on a regular basis, this way I don't have to configure each OS to do static, if I just let it with the default DHCP the router takes care of it. So, personally, I think it's saving me work :P