Need some help with Debian [solved]

I posted on the Debian board and so far only one person has responded and it didn't help. I had to change out routers cause my old one kept losing my internet connection. My old one's ip was 192.168.1.1. My new one is 192.168.0.1. When I try and start my wireless network it tries to connect to the old router ip. My /etc/resolv.conf is set to the new router ip. I've change my wep encryption key in /etc/network/interfaces and in the router I set my dhcp server to my gentoo boxes ip. I've never run into this before and I have no idea how to fix it. I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Please post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.

Also, suggest that you are most likely using the Network Manager by the clock in Gnome, so, check this and re-assign your access point, because it will remember the IP of the old access point for the wireless connection.

I already changed it in the network manager. After I plugged it in directly to the router it detected the new router but I still have no wireless.

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless-essid barbara
wireless-key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

auto eth1

But I think it's having a problem with my wireless key which I copied and pasted directly from my router. I'm getting this message when I restart the network:

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device eth1; Invalid argument.[

And when I fun ifconfig I get this:

eth1	  IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
	  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
	  Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
	  RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
	  Encryption key:off
	  Power Management:off
	  Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
	  Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
	  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

If you think it's still trying to connect to the old router (though I'm not sure how you know - where are you seeing the old routers IP?) you could always change the IP address on the router itself to be 192.168.1.1 (all routers allow you to change their internal IP, I'm pretty sure).

As for the error about the '[', if you have that character in your key, try a key that doesn't have it (AFAIK, however, there aren't many characters that aren't allowed in a key, and sure '[' isn't one).

Oh, that was just a typo. It's invalid arguement without the [. And now that I've plugged it into the router eth0 shows connecting to 192.168.0.1. With eth1 it shows Listing on LPF/eth1/ and then my computers mac address. And in my router it shows the Laptop with my correct Mac address. So the router is detecting the wireless connection.

Run:

/sbin/route

And see if it gives you 192.168.1.1 (should be the first destination). If it is, do this:

/sbin/route del default gw 192.168.1.1

And then:

/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1

And restart your networking.

Try a:

iwlist eth1 scan

to see if it sees anything. Incidently, I get that Set problem on Fedora 7 and cannot connect to my access point. Not tried without a key as of yet, but both WEP/WPA haven't worked so far.

tyme, it's showing 192.168.0.1 for eth0 but it shows nothing for eth1.

ian, here it is.

debian:/home/mystified# iwlist eth1 scan
eth1	  Scan completed :
	  Cell 01 - Address: 00:09:5B:AA:49:56
				ESSID:"NETGEAR"
				Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
				Mode:Managed
				Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
				Quality:95/100  Signal level:-35 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
				Encryption key:on
				Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
				Extra:bcn_int=100
				Extra:atim=0

tyme, it's showing 192.168.0.1 for eth0 but it shows nothing for eth1.
Could you post the output of /sbin/route for me?

Seems you can't see your own network based on that scan output. Did you turn on MAC filtering at all? Is ESSID broadcasting turned off on your router?

debian:/home/mystified# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags Metric Ref	Use Iface
192.168.0.0	 *			   255.255.255.0   U	 0	  0		0 eth0
default		 192.168.0.1	 0.0.0.0		 UG	0	  0		0 eth0

ESSID is turned on. As far as MAC filtering I had to set up the wireless card using the mac address I got from ifconfig -a. I have it set so it will only connect from this mac address.

Here it is:

eth1	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:CE:13:E2:08
	  UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
	  RX packets:110 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
	  RX bytes:63296 (61.8 KiB)  TX bytes:908 (908.0 b)
	  Interrupt:217 Memory:e2000000-e2002000

Did you double check the MAC in the router? If you're MAC is right in the router, you should at least be able to see it. Make sure MAC filtering is set to "allow only the clients listed" versus "block the clients listed" - some routers have this setting (I know, I've accidentally blocked out everyone on my wireless a few times). Also, check the Channel, and try something other than 11 - lastly, make sure you do in fact have your ESSID for the router set to barbara (I am concerned that NETGEAR is actually your router, if it is a netgear router, and the ESSID is still at it's default).

I copied and pasted the MAC address but I've triple checked it and it's correct. I also tried channels 1 through 11. And I reset my ESSID name to Barbara.

Ok, it's working now. I assigned an ip to it that I got from ifconfig.

I assigned an ip to it that I got from ifconfig.
Do you mean you set the router to always give it the same IP? Or did you set it static on your machine? The IP you got from ifconfig should have been given to it via DHCP by your router, I believe, so I'm a little unsure what you mean.

It was automatically assigning it for eth0 but apparantly not for wireless. So I logged into my router and did what it called an ip reservation and assigned it to my acer laptop. I know this isn't ideal but it got it to work.

So I logged into my router and did what it called an ip reservation and assigned it to my acer laptop.
I actually do that a lot for both wired and wireless clients, just the ones that are my own, because then I don't have to figure out what IP some other computer is, and any port forwarding I set up for games and torrents will always be going to the right system.