WPA Authentication [solved]

NRGB

Hi! I have a linksys router and a wireless connection authenticated via WAP, so far i've been able to connect just fine from different computers (desktops and laptops) to this network using XP and Vista, but now I'm moving my Linux system from my desktop (wich is connected directly to the router) to my notebook and even though mandriva 2007 sees the network and realize it's a secure network using WAP it won't connect, i place the network password on the configuration screen but i try connecting and well... does nothing, if someone can give me a hand i'll really appreciate it, thanks in advance!

Go into the Mandriva Control Center (aka Configure My Computer), then into the Software section (I think it's called Software :unsure:) and Install Software. From here, search for wpa_supplicant and if it shows up install it. If it is already installed, make sure it's updated (this may require connecting via wire).

Welcome to the board :)

First of all, let's start with the basics. Turn off encryption on the wireless access point so that it's completely open. Then try and configure your wireless card. If it's still failing then it's not because of WEP.

What is your wireless card? Do an lspci from the laptop, and post the info here for the wireless card. Another thing you can also do is this, but you need to do from the command line. First off, make sure you know which is your wireless card, usually wlan0, so:

iwlist wlan0 scan

and if it displays output and sees an access point, then it's working. If you disabled SSID broadcast on your access point, enable it so that you can test and see if your wireless is working. Maybe it's a problem with your card not actually seeing anything to connect to.

OK, then disable it so that there is no security and try to connect. If you can, then you know there is a problem with your configuration for WPA and not the ability to connect to the wireless access point. If you still can't connect after WPA has been disabled, then you have something else that needs to be worked out and fixed before you attempt with WPA again.

Hi, the wpa_supplicant is already installed, I turned off the encryption letting the wireless network run free as the wind, and then I can connect as I thought it would since I have a dual boot on the notebook and it works just fine on the other OS (let's don't mention its name), thanks again, you've been incredibly fast in the answers and also for welcoming to the forum, I've been a Mandrake/Mandriva user for a while and so far this forum RULES!!!

Ok it's configured on interface eth2 and running lspci it shows an "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" on the Network Controller output, my notebook is a Dell XPS M1710

on the wireless connection screen it shows (I'm translating from spanish so it might not be the exact same terms)

Driver: Intel Corporation|Pro/Wireless 3945ABG

ESSID: Sky (wich is the name of my network)

Signal Power: (it's a picture and it pretty much says i'm cool, i'm way close to the router)

then there is some sort of orange lock with no column label

Encrypt: [WPA]

Operation Mode: Master

so... i hit configure and it shows

Encryptation Mode: Pre-Shared WPA Key

Encrypting Key: (There used to be nothing here and I placed my network password)

it's on Automatic IP and Getting DNS severs from DHCP