Adam Williamson talking about Mandriva

arctic

Thanks dexter. I had an idea similar to what you mention, but it's nice that you clarified it. :D

Thanks, adamw - I'm aware that the Nvidia/Ati stuff's in the "non-free" repo now. It's a great improvement. I am currently using the "free DVD" so I have not tried the commercial versions or the ONE version for Spring. I'll be switching to "one" or a commercial version for 2008 though so I'll get a feeling of how the prop. driver thing works in those versions, later this year. Not that the free-DVD isn't nice. My only problem with it is, that it installs way to many programs, by default. IMO.

I did test PcLinuxOS out of curiosity, and the Nvidia installation was somewhat easier, than it is in Mandriva's free version. I still had to install the drivers after finishing the OS install, but the driver installation is very simple.

For Mandriva, I can only judge from the "free version", but it seems to me, that the process of installing the drivers could be easier. I mean, it's not a personal problem for me to install them and run XFdrake, but I guess it can be for many newbies.

How's your opinion on this? adamw :D

BTW adamw... Do you ever sleep? You seem like a BUSY man. Your help and assistance is much appreciated though.

Edited by opvask

There is somthing you might want to know about pclinuxos.

Yes its based on mandriva.

and that i not so strange when you consider who are behind it.

a very big part are old mdv 3d party packagers like me

that has joined together to create a distro that is pretty much what we wanted mdv to be.

i still like mdv a lot not so strange since i have been a mdv user for so many years

but we do add lots of major part that is developed independantly

like pclos kde is actually based on mde kde

that is what makes it so fast ;)

and dkms drivers that i maintain most of them anyway.

I really hope that both mdv and pclos can continue side by side

without bashing from any side

i sure had enough of that myself

I would definitely never bash PCLinuxOS or any other OS - I'm temped regarding Gnome sometimes though. B)

I actually like PCL a lot and I keep it as my second OS. Mandriva is still my first choice though.

PCLinuxOS still needs a bit more consistency to it's look IMO (compared to Mandriva). Other than that it's a damn fine OS and (like you mention) it's fast and very easy to install.

I'm looking forward to try out future versions.

Edited by opvask

opvask: I just want to make sure you followed the 'optimal' driver installation procedure on Mandriva Free. It goes like this:

* Install Free

* Set up the non-free repository by following the instructions at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available

* Run XFdrake, go to the card selection step, and tell it you want to use the proprietary driver when it asks

* Restart X (or reboot or whatever)

it's _intended_ to be that simple. If that's what you did, and you think it's not simple enough, how would you improve it? If the above process fails for you at some point, please let me know where :) Thanks!

Sleep? I have people to do that kind of thing for me ;)

opvask: I just want to make sure you followed the 'optimal' driver installation procedure on Mandriva Free. It goes like this:

* Install Free

* Set up the non-free repository by following the instructions at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available

* Run XFdrake, go to the card selection step, and tell it you want to use the proprietary driver when it asks

* Restart X (or reboot or whatever)

it's _intended_ to be that simple. If that's what you did, and you think it's not simple enough, how would you improve it? If the above process fails for you at some point, please let me know where :) Thanks!

Sleep? I have people to do that kind of thing for me ;)

I guess sleep is overrated. :D

I didn't do it quite that way. You're right, that is pretty simple.

I did it almost that way, but I installed the driver myself before running XFdrake, no wonder I thought XFdrake was doing double work, when it also seemed to install the driver. I'll remember the correct procedure from now on.

I guess real simple would be - install driver/restart X and voilá, but the procedure you describe is quite simple also.

BTW: thanks to your answers at the club forum, I already knew more about the correct procedure. I'm also know now, that this procedure is even easier with the "ONE" CD.

Edited by opvask