two copies of ddclient?

papaschtroumpf

This is both a plain software and networking question, do I posted here since the networking topics seem to get much lower traffic.

ever since I installed Mandriva Sprint 2007, I'm having problems with keeping my IP address updated in the dyndns database.

I checked that ddclient was running, and I see two copies:

[root@Mandrake chris]# ps aux | grep ddclient
root	  3708  0.0  0.3   5652  3548 ?		S	Jun10   0:00 ddclient - sleeping for 130 seconds
root	 14819  0.0  0.3   7016  3576 ?		S	Jun13   0:00 ddclient - sleeping for 150 seconds
root	 23979  0.0  0.0   2976   804 pts/4	R+   11:10   0:00 grep --color ddclient

does this make any sense and could it be why things aren't working?

how do I troubleshoot to see how they get started? /var/run/ddclient.pid shows 14189

Also, if the two copies is not the issue, how do I check why my IP address is not properly updated in the dyndns database? thre is a /var/cache/ddclient directory but it appears to be empty.

the only syslog entries related to ddclient are:

[root@Mandrake ~]# grep ddclient /var/log/syslog
Jun 17 04:06:28 Mandrake logger: - /etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf
Jun 18 04:06:24 Mandrake logger: - /etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf
J

This is both a plain software and networking question, do I posted here since the networking topics seem to get much lower traffic.

This is definitely a networking problem not non-specific software, so I've moved it.

Networking gets traffic when people post there... :)

you're the boss spiny :)

from the ddclient home page instructions, I ran ddclient -daemon=0 -debug

and found the source of the problem: ddclient used "IP" as a source, whatever that means, and it can't determine my IP

I added "use=web" in the config, and it goes further, but I get the following error:

EBUG:	server = members.dyndns.org
DEBUG:	opt(fw =
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 1660.
DEBUG:	glo fw =
Can't locate IO/Socket/SSL.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 1666.

it looks like I don;t have the required ssh.pm perl module? how do I install that?

If it's sending username/password information (which I believe it has to, but I haven't used the client) then it would be a good idea to do it over SSL. It's more secure that way.

[root@Mandrake chris]# urpmi perl-ldap
Package perl-ldap-0.33-3mdk.noarch is already installed

butI still get the error:

DEBUG:	url	= http://members.dyndns.org/nic/update?system=dyndns&hostname=xxxxxxxx.com&myip=70.xx.xx.xx
DEBUG:	server = members.dyndns.org
DEBUG:	opt(fw =
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 1660.
DEBUG:	glo fw =
Can't locate IO/Socket/SSL.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 1666.

I edited the hostanme and IP, but those are indeed correct.

I'm not sure what the thing about fw=...., but I assume it's not the problem. The problem still seems to be in finding SSL.pm

Success!

(at least I think so). through sone googling I figured out that ssl.pm was contained in: perl-IO-Socket-SSL

(there should be an easire way to find that out)

whcih then installed:

perl-IO-Socket-SSL-0.99.9-2mdv2007.0.noarch

perl-Net_SSLeay.pm-1.30-3mdv2007.0.i586

Hopefully no harmful side effect. My dyndns entry is finally getting properly updated.