Updating post install

OU812

Hello. I just installed mcnlive toronto. I tried to update the installed packages and I got this message

Unable to update medium; it will be automatically disabled.

Errors:

...retrieving failed: md5sum mismatch

unable to access hdlist file of "contrib", medium ignored

It's impossible to retrieve the list of new packages from the media `contrib'. Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this case you should use the Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it in order to reconfigure it, either it is currently unreachable and you should retry later.

I read another post and tried to use the Mandriva Linux Control Center to update the packages, but got an error along the lines of "you already have at least one udpate media configured but all are disabled ..." What do I need to do to get updates? Thanks.

john

What kind of installation? A normal to the hard disk?

(it is not recommended). If yes, please read this:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=312791

Either your internet connection is not working or the ftp server:

is currently unreachable and you should retry later.

The update medium is already configured, but disabled. You would simply enable it. --> manage media --> tick the check box

Don't add a second update source.

Yes, I did a regular install using the installer fromt the livedcd. Before installing mcnlive, I installed the mandriva mini-iso (icewm), but it was so limited compared to mcnlive; that's why I chose mcnlive. Also, mcnlive seemed lighter and therefore the better choice for my old laptop. However, after reading the link you provided, I will install the real thing (the mini-iso with icewm and spend a lot of time customizing it) again after I resolve the updating issue. I'm sorry, but I don't understand your post. When I launch the media manager, I have the following boxes checked (these were checked by default):

main - the Enabled box is checked

main_updates - the Updates box is checked

contrib - the Enable box is checked

What needs to be changed? Thanks.

john

Edited by OU812

Now that you already installed Toronto, you may want to keep it :D

You have an 'almost' 100% MDV 2007.1 Spring system.

And with the good software sources you can get more.

main - the Enabled box is checked

main_updates - the Updates box is checked

contrib - the Enable box is checked

There should be a source called: update_source (but the name does not matter that much, if it is the correct source)

---> the enabled box must be checked and the updates box

For main and contrib: it is ok.

Please, can you do the following, open a terminal window, type:

cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

... and post the result here, copy&paste

Edited by chris:b

The only other option I see is "non-free". Here is the requested output:

{

}

main ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/release {

key-ids: 70771ff3

media_info_dir: media_info

synthesis

}

main_updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updates {

ignore

synthesis

update

}

contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...contrib/release {

key-ids: 78d019f5

synthesis

}

non-free ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...on-free/release {

ignore

synthesis

}

Thanks.

john

P.S. I know there are no man pages in mcnlive. When I put in the mandriva mini-iso cd, there was an option to upgrade. Do you think it is a good idea to do this?

Hi John, your software sources are okay, but you need to enable the source: main_updates

---> the enabled box must be checked and the updates box, in the GUI rpmdrake

--> Select from where software packages ...

--> on the left: check the 'Enabled?' box

Then you click on the button "Update ..." on the right.

Your second question.

I am not sure what the mini iso would exactly do, chosing the upgrade option. I don't know the mini iso.

Thanks. While waiting for your last reply, I decided to install the mini-iso again. Unfortunately, it has no applications - no multimedia, package manager, tools; nothing. So I am reading your reply from mcnlive. I have a decision to make I guess: Do I install mcnlive or do I install mandriva one (also a live/install cd but perhaps closer to a 100% mandriva system). Do you have any suggestions? (I think no matter which one I choose I will need to deal with the repositories as you suggested.) Thanks.

john

P.S. If you suggest mandriva one, there is also available a kde extras disc. Is really necessary? Thanks.

kde extra is for localization packages, I guess. Not necessary if you need English only.

The decision between MDV One and MCNLive - well, my personal decision would be One, it has more applications, and it comes with proprietary video drivers included.

But you need to deal with some missing programs, too: like virtualbox, codecs etc.

No matter what you do, you can install all things later by adding the good software sources. And the folks here on MUB will help you if you encounter any problems.

Edit: actually, my very personal decision would be installing Mandriva 2007.1 Spring free DVD - but I am afraid to confuse you even more :D

Edited by chris:b

You are right - this is a difficult decision. I enjoy using mcnlive, but I think I will install mandriva one and any extra packages that I may need. I am choosing mandriva one because mcnlive is missing help files, man pages, and some documentation; otherwise, it has the applications I need (except maybe a few emulators that are of course available in the repo). Well, thank you and I will report report back later if I have questions. (I have family business to take care of so I don't know when I'll have time.) Thank you for your help and suggestions.

john

Life is strange, isn't it? I was able to install mcnlive and the mandriva mini-iso on my laptop, but not mandriva one. Like so many other distros (vector, saboyan, dsl, ubuntu) mandriva one stalled shortly after loading the kernel image. No worries. I installed mcnlive and finally updated the installation thanks to your instructions. I even installed dgen, vice, znes, and stella (not in repo, but a mandriva package is available at the home page). This is fun distro and ever since I've been using linux, using computers has been fun (about 3 years now, mostly slackware- and debian-based distros). Thanks.

john

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.