Mandriva2007 Flash

Guest Jos Joslyn

Guest Jos Joslyn

Again my heartfelt thanks to the community out there for your support on this issue, I know that to many it was ONLY a "piffling €89 euros", but to me it was definitely more an argument of principle, although .... I wasn't going to give my money without at least a fight.

I am glad to say that I hope this has been resolved now. Today I received a new "order #", and a promise that this is being shipped as a priority - which is a switch from the mail I received 3 days ago. I imagine that once again I have AdamW to thank for lighting a fire beneath someone, or some process. AdamW, I thank you for all your efforts, this time it hopefully will have paid off. I will keep this posting informed of the outcome.

For everyone out there my anger and criticism was centred around the "MandrivaStore" and the organisational processes. Which, together with the support element of any business - especially an IT business - is the means by which it ultimately lives or dies. The Mandriva distro is still a really great definition of a Linux platform, and is one of the best out there, yes it has quirks, but don't they all. One area where it still proves to be - in my humble opinion - better than the others(that I have tried), is in co-existing in a multi-platform environment. I use 2 flavours of Linux(well 3 if you count the interface differences between Ubuntu/Kubuntu & Mandriva2007), Mac OS X(my personal fav), eComStation(what used to be IBM OS/2 - now under a new lease of life), and - only for work purposes honestly - WindozeXP. Of the Linux flavours on my menu, Mandriva is the happiest right from the box in participating in that mixed environment, in file and print sharing.

It will be good to have a working USB Key with Mandriva2007 installed, so that I can more easily show-off the benefits of Linux over Windoze options to the many "ludite" friends I have, as an option along with Mac OS X.

My favourite quote, and one which I try to live by professionally(not personally - I'd have to be a Saint to do that, and a Saint I ain't) "we are what we consistently do, excellence therefore is a habit, not an accident" - Aristotle. It is a message I continually try to drive into my employer, I hope that Mandriva take it's meaning on board and strive to be "what they consistently do" and be an flag-ship of "excellence" for not only their product but as a shining beacon to the other distro's.

Regards

Jos Joslyn