US Voltage and USB...

phunni

We're flying out to the states on Wednesday and I was hoping to take my Archos player with me. The only thin I'm not sure about is if I'll be able to charge it. I know the voltage is different from Europe, but I wondered if charging over USB would work. I'm assuming probably not, but I don't know much about this kind of thing - so I thought I'd ask...

Yeah, try USB. Its not fantastic, but works fine as long as you don't overload it by drawing too much current . The absolute max is 0.5A

Anyhow, have a good trip!

Much is different in the US, and when you are back you'll know why most folks prefer living where they are!

Helmut.

We're rated at 240volts in the UK, so if the US is 110volts, you won't have a problem charging your item because it's LESS than 240volts. However, if it was 110volts, and tried charging it here, you'd have a big problem.

I'm unsure though of the voltage rating in the US, so you might not even have anything to worry about. Most things charge anywhere these days without problems.

That said, I've got an iPaq from America, that charges perfectly fine in the UK. So I think you don't have anything to worry about.

Yep, don't do what I did and *forget* to bring said adaptor when I came from Poland to the UK, and found after two hours when the battery almost had gone flat, that I couldn't plug it in!

• 2 weeks later...

Well - if anyone's interested - I had some interesting results to trying this. There wasn't much chance to access a USB port until I got to New York. The satellite box in our hotel room had a USB port so I figured - "why not give it a try?". There were no problems charging my phone - although it was very slow. My Archos, however, was a different story. The Archos seemed to believe it was being charged, however it only seemed to be switched on every time it was plugged in. With the result that it completely drained while we were there...