Mandriva 2007 + Canon PIXMA iP 1500 problem

biddu

I recently installed Mandriva 2007. I also have a Canon Pixma 1500 connected to the computer. The printer works fine in WINDOWS but in Mandriva, when a command is given to print, the printer light starts blinking but nothing happens after that.

I gave the lpq command and it showed

queuing enabled

printing enabled

1 entry

daemon present

After some time it shows 0(zero)entries present. I am baffled at this behaviour. I am a newbie at linux so pls if some could guide me in steps, i would be grateful.

Afaik the only working driver for Linux is the Turboprint one. The demo does not expire, but watermarks the output, and the driver price is not worth itself for such a cheap printer.

You can try the free (and painful) way though: Follow the instructions here but no warranties it will work. It worked for me using a much more expensive Pixma iP5000, but the output quality was not good, so I ended up buying the Turboprint driver which works very well indeed.

Edited by scarecrow

Hi,

I tried both the methods but still have not succeeded in starting to have my my Printer work in Linux. The Canon site site claims that the Pixma ip 1500 works fine in Linux. Please some one guide me if I am making a mistake. The drivers have been downloaded on my desktop. Thanks.

Edited by biddu

• 3 weeks later...

I see that there are two new gutenprint drivers released on June 7. the first is 5.0.1 which is stable, and 5.1.2 which is developmental. These also seem to add the Epson Claria ink printers along with the Canon iP series. So far, they mostly appear as tarballs.