Live CDs both stall before full boot

Guest rhageman

Guest rhageman

Began this exploration over in the Everything Linux Forum. I decided to download both Mandriva Live CDs. This is how it went...

:wall:

Yup, that's how it feels! Banging my head on a wall.

Downloads went well. MD5 sums checked. Burned two live CDs. Neither one boots to Linux.

Both CDs stall out at - I guess - the last step. Dark screen with a prompt for something "login:" There is not a lot of time to read. Left to itself, screen goes totally dark with no prompt. Tried to give "Enter" (blank password) and prompt returns. Again time is short. After three "Enter" attempts, screen goes dark with no prompt.

I see no info at Mandriva site. Why would they put that in a trial CD?

:wall:

Guest rhageman

In case it does matter, the system is Gigabyte Motherboard with an Intel Core-2-Duo processor running at 3.2 GHz. There are 2 GB of RAM. The HD Audio is built into the motherboard and there is an ATI Raedeon X550 graphics card.

Anna,

I vaguely remember hearing about the root sign-in - so I'm guessing that that is what the CD wants. Whether or not I need the XFdrake stuff, a few tests should tell.

Thanks.

Bob

Guest rhageman

Okay.

Tried this once. Will try again. The init 3 did slow down the sign-in so I could do something. Using root as an id worked also. I goffed with the XFdrake and missed the confirm. And the system got hung.

Unfortunately, I got interrupted at that point and couldn't complete the trials. Going back to try again.

Thanks, Anna. I presume this will work, if I follow directions carefully.