Completely new hardware and Mandriva [solved]

aerogate

Hi there, my PC running Mandiva has finally died (Motherboard Problem) so it`s time for a new one, may aswell go for complete new system (apart from case).

I`ve selected to base it around AMD Dual Core 4200 AM2 Nforce4 Chipset with PCI-E graphics, Using the hard disk with Mandriva 2007.1 already installed from my old PC.

Would be a nightmare if Mandriva wasnt compatable with the hardware, what are the chances?

Mike

If it is ONLY the Mainboard and the CPU which is different then it is unlikely to give you any problems.

Note that I said unlikely, but it can happen as I found out from experience in installing Mandriva2007 on my system which had previously installed 2006 and earlier versions ok on an asus A7V600-X board but that was overcome with a work around for 2007, and 2007.1-Spring was ok.

So I think it is fair to say you have every chance of being OK.

Cheers. John.

there was a thread here not only a few weeks ago from someone who successfully in essence switched harddisks from one setup to another, completely different setup without any major glitches, success is not guaranteed though....

btw, why are you getting amd/nvidia-mobo intel/intel-mobo blows amd/nvidia completely out of the water these days

Actually you *are* likely to have issues, because Mandriva is using oldfashioned kernels, and cannot patch them with "everything" to support newer hardware. But a more up-to-date distro, like (say) Ubuntu 7.04 should work fine.

BTW I also wouldn't buy an Nforce4 mainbord, just like ffi.

John, I don' t want to start some political discussion but suppose somehow becomes the most popular os and this other company which does support linux becomes a virtual monopoly, would you also boycot it?

A: Over here I, and everyone in this country, legally have the have a health insurance, 20+ companies over here offer a health plan, these plans sell from $1000 onwards

B: Suppose MS has the only OS on the market and it sells this for $2000+

which would be the worst deal?

For me this is quite simple, deal A because I am forced to make a deal even if I can choice between deals, in situation B I can negate the deal completely....

What's wrong with AMD/NVidia? They do Linux support. So does Intel. We have a choice. That's good, since that is what Linux is about. We have a choice.

End of story. If you want to buy AMD/NVidia, buy it. I certainly won't buy ATI because I can never get them to work. And Intel will depend on my needs. Business, then Intel. Home, then probably AMD/NVidia.

Cool :thumbs:

I'm toying with one using an AMD processor, nvidia chipset and my nvidia video card, as it seems the best combo for upgrading my machine. I'd use an Intel board, if it was for business use though, but depending on cost comparison.

Cool :thumbs:

I'm toying with one using an AMD processor, nvidia chipset and my nvidia video card, as it seems the best combo for upgrading my machine. I'd use an Intel board, if it was for business use though, but depending on cost comparison.

Go for it, must say I`m very impressed with the speed of this machine now, and way everything just worked, no need for the 70 million cd`s that came with the parts for windows heheh.