Open Sound System becomes open source

dexter11

Good news! They've got some excellent work there.

For those who don't know the details, there's:

OSS is the Open Sound System. A standard sound system across all the unices, created in 1992.

Linux has it's own GPL implementation of this sound system, which is in the kernel, and is deprecated in favour of ALSA.

What is being GPL'ed is the closed source implementation, created by the dude who invented the OSS standard. This is pretty cool, as that implementation has a heap of great features, is popular among audiophiles and those doing real time sound work.

James

oh, *goody*! the Linux audio infrastructure really just wasn't complicated enough up till now.

That's kind of how I feel. The only time I miss Winbloze is when I'm trying to get anything sound-related to work. Whatever its problems were, I have to give it this: I could listen to mp3s and play a game at the same time, and hear the sound from both.

That's kind of how I feel. The only time I miss Winbloze is when I'm trying to get anything sound-related to work. Whatever its problems were, I have to give it this: I could listen to mp3s and play a game at the same time, and hear the sound from both.

That'll work fine with this, it's got the best mixing i've seen.

How hard will it be to set up?

I've always struggled with sound in Linux. Right now KDE kinda sorta does it automagically for me as long as I set the sound system to "Auto," but it still has that really annoying quirk that any time KDE makes so much as a beep or a click it takes complete control of the sound system for a few seconds, and any app that get opened during that time will have no sound.

Will there be an rpm in the repository so I can urpmi it? And does this mean Wolf ET will have sound without my having to jump through hoops? 'Cause that would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I installed it...and the very first thing that tried to play a sound crashed my system.

So I uninstalled it, and it took my existing sound stuff with it. When I went back to KDE sound setup it wouldn't even open the configuration dialog for me because it said it was missing soundlib.so.2. :(

So now to figure out what package I need to reinstall.