Installing Grub in root partition in Linux Mint

Tonight I installed Linux Mint on an older laptop of mine which has SuSE 9.3, Mandriva 2006, and Kubuntu. I'm using SuSE's Grub on the MBR.

When I installed Linux Mint, it did not give me the option to install its Grub in the root partition, as I wanted to continue uses SuSE's Grub on the MBR.

It therefore installed itself in the MBR. With some help, I was able to get back into SUSE and re-install its Grub to the MBR.

Now I wish to install it on my Desktop, but I don't want this to happen again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how during installation to install the Mint Grub on the root partition?

Many thanks,

Richard L.

Since you already had a bootloader, you shouldn't install Mint's bootloader at all.

I do not use Mint, but I guess you should have the option NOT installing a bootloader.

If not, file it as a bug/request/both of the above to the distro developers.

it's often simpler when using multiple distros, to just install their bootloaders on their partitions, rather than MBR, and then have one of the systems install to the MBR, From there, you can chain load to any of the other bootloaders.

The advantage is, the systems dont interfere with each other, and can do what they like to their bootloader without messing the others up. additionally, they can upgrade and change kernels as much as they like, without manual intervention.

As for mint, yeah, select 'no' bootloader. Then chroot into it from another distro, and install the bootloader to the partition then.

I did not see the option for no bootloader. This is what I was looking for when installing. For what I could see, there were no options. If they were there, it wasn't obvious like with Mandriva.

I thought maybe someone else in this forum had installed Linux Mint and could have helped me with their experience. I guess that no one has.

Thanks,

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc