256mb min requirement the standard for Linux now

linux n00b

I've noticed all the new Linux releases now require 256mb of RAM. I was going to setup a new test machine and it only had 192mb, I coulndt use Mandriva Free 07, Ubuntu or Vector.

I'm guessing this is a new minimum requirements now?

I know that old files are still out there but it would of been nice to try out some new stuff without the higher requirements

The issue is the desktop environments. If you run something like WindowMaker, Fluxbox, or possibly even XFCE4 then the minimum requirement probably doesn't apply. That's more for people who are going to use the default KDE or GNOME desktop environment.

Linux still runs on older, slower systems with less RAM.

I am currently running Arch Linux (which is as bleeding edge as a Linux version can be) to an old Olivetti Laptop, with PIII/700 CPU and just 128M RAM (actually less than that- some RAM is used by the GPU). It's running just fine, using (in my case) ICEWM, but I guess any lightweight window manager should be fine- and maybe XFCE4 as well.

Edited by scarecrow

Mandriva will install fine with 192MB. You _can_ run KDE or GNOME with that much, it'll just be a little slow. Xfce or IceWM with a carefully chosen set of lightweight apps will feel quicker.

I ran Mandriva on my old laptop (p2/400 with 128MB of RAM) for a long time, running full GNOME 2.x. It wasn't that bad.

Minimal hardware requirements for a linux system: i386 processor with 64 MB Ram. It is the DE's that eat the ram.

A not so well known alternative to KDE or Gnome, but still great is Rox. Runs with 64 MB Ram afaik.

I found them:

Hardware Requirements

CPU: All Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Duron, Sempron processors

RAM: 256MB minimum, 512MB recommended.

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

Graphic Cards: NVIDIA®, ATI™, Intel® i8xx and i9xx.

Sound cards: All Sound Blaster compatible cards and AC97

Don't really take those seriously. I don't know why we quote 256MB, as I said, it's not really accurate.

AFAIK the real minimum is 64MB (the installer needs at least this much headroom). With less than 128MB, you can only install using the text installer.