Sell me on Gnome

grendal

I would not call Mandriva KDE centric, I think Mandriva does a good job in trying to integrate most Desktop Environments/Window Managers.

You just can use the app you like, regardless wether it is written for Gnome or KDE, I for example use mostly Gnome, but for browsing my SMB-Network I use SMB4K, for burning I prefer K3B, there are some themes out there that try to give both Environments a somewhat unified look, so switching between apps is not that big problem.

Very much agree...

• 3 months later...
One other thing, gnomebaker didn't work for me in Fedora 7. I tried to write a DVD and it told me to put a disk in the drive, that was.....already there.

I could however burn it with another app from right clicking within Nautilus and selecting the CD/DVD creator option.

Had trouble with burning things in gnome, at least with the native applications which came with Mandriva 2007.1 Live cd. THere wasn't much there. Iso support it fine, but not much else, and it would often crash on me. Didn't know about gnomebaker, I'll look into it. I've been using Gnome cd Master, which burns great, and has lots of configurable options. It's a gui to cdrdao, which I highly recommend. That said, I'm really curious about kde, and am installing it to use just now. Almost done I think...

Although I rarely have to use this myself...since my GNOME apps hardly ever break... B)

Agree.

I like both Gnome and KDE, and i feel comfortable in both environments. I'm steel trying to decide which is better...

From personal experience, Gnome works better and has fewer bugs than KDE on Mandriva 2007.1. KDE on Kubuntu 7.04 and PClos2007 is supreme.

I can't remember any particular bug that i have found in Ubuntu or Fedora (4 to 7) in Gnome (Fedora's KDE was excellent too).

Most Gnome themes are nicer than KDE themes (in my opinion), and are easy to install.

Gnomebaker didn't work well for me on Mandriva Spring.

I use Kubuntu now for a month or so as my primary OS.

So as ianw1974 said, give Gnome a try for some weeks and than decide.

First: Mandriva is not a KDE distribution, it offers KDE and GNOME and lots of other desktops.

When I last touched upon RH, I noticed they did things to KDE that made it less usable than it is in normal unmessed state.

If this is still the case on Fedora, I'd say, stick with GNOME there.

With Mandriva you can go either way.

I use KDE and like certain applications better than their GNOME counterparts.

Also, the way KDE applications work, it's better to run KDE with your preferred KDE and GNOME applications than to run GNOME with GNOME and KDE apps, because any KDE app will have practically all of KDE loaded (to have the framework functional, kioslaves and all kinds of other things that I admittedly know nothing about), whereas the way I understood this is not the case with GNOME applications.

Now on to the GNOME applications that I use and like:

grip - cd ripper - have set it up once, ages ago, and since I set it up the way I want, there's no reason to change. Works for me, works fine.

gqview - photo viewer - I know kuickshow, just don't like how the selected photo pops up in a different frame, gqview does what I want it to do and works the way I expect.

evolution - mail program - I started using this since I started with GNOME, because at that time there was a strong anti-kde-the-licence-is-bad sentiment going on, and still use it, works fine

Yeah, short list - I have lots more KDE apps that I really dig: K3B, digiKam, Konqueror (web and file and then some), ...

Edited by aRTee

The best burning app for Gnome is (by far) Brasero - maybe its not close yet to K3B or (the commercial) Nerolinux 3, but its a pretty decent application.

Thanks for that tip, never knew that existed until now, the interface looks good. I just need something to burn now. ;)

Most Gnome themes are nicer than KDE themes (in my opinion), and are easy to install.

I agree, but like you say that is a matter of taste.

If this is still the case on Fedora, I'd say, stick with GNOME there.

I haven't had any problems so far, although I don't use KDE much.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi