How do I make an audio CD?

javaguy

Here's where I am now: I recorded a tape using Audacity and got some nice .wav files that work.

I created an audio cd project and dropped the .wav files into it, then burned my CD. K3b said everything was A-okay and ejected the disc. To make sure, I put the disc back in and ran the CD Player program. It worked fine. Javaguy was Happy.

So this morning I got into my car to drive to work, put the CD in the player, saw "Track 1" briefly on the display thingy, then "Err." I ejected the disc blew the dust off and tried again just to make sure. "Err" again. I tried the other disc I made last night and got the same result. Javaguy was Unhappy.

It seems that your CD player is not particularly happy with the media dye you are using. Can you name the brand of the CDR blanks?

You could try burning again using the lowest possible speed, and using DAO (disk-at-once) burning mode.

I have only superlatives to say about Mitsui Gold media, which are rather expensive and not that easy to find. So far they have played flawlessly for me everywhere, including two-buck-portables.

But you can try other, good quality media- Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh... mostly Japanese stuff.

Edited by scarecrow

files on an Audio-CD are shown with the ending .cda when opened in a file manager, so if you look on your CD and it contains .wav then it is definitely no Audio-CD

It seems that your CD player is not particularly happy with the media dye you are using. Can you name the brand of the CDR blanks?

You could try burning again using the lowest possible speed, and using DAO (disk-at-once) burning mode.

I have only superlatives to say about Mitsui Gold media, which are rather expensive and not that easy to find. So far they have played flawlessly for me everywhere, including two-buck-portables.

But you can try other, good quality media- Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh... mostly Japanese stuff.

Uggh. This is certainly an education for me.

I don't see any files, .cda or otherwise, when I look at it in the file manager.

I kinda thought that a CD was a CD and that a CD player was a CD player. Certainly there is varying quality, just like there are good and bad quality cassette tapes, but any cassette tape will play in any cassette player in the world.

I'm using Memorex CDs, which have never been a problem for anything computer-related for me. I guess I'll look for one of those you recommend.

Thanks.

OK, forgot to mention that I was on a Win-Box that evening, technically the files on Audio-CDs are not much different from .wav files except that at least Win shows them as .cda, the problem is that your Audio-CD-Player needs a special indexing on the CD to find the tracks, therefore just burning files on a CD won't do it, but since you used the Audio-CD option in K3B it seems to be the media (and yes there are big differences between CD-media).

BTW: your CD-Player seems to accept it as Audio-CD (showing the track), it just does not like the quality, otherwise it would say no disc or wrong media, but as you described at least it tries to play the disc

Edited by lavaeolus

Ermmm... sorry to say that these .cda files are just a few bytes long, and so they are slightly smaller than .wav files! :P

They are nothing more than "shortcuts" for the tracks present on the CD, not real files.

Factly, you can even see these nonexisting .cda files (together with a bunch of also nonexisting .wav, .ogg, .flac, .mp3 and so on...) under Linux as well: Just open Konqueror, type in the addy bar "audiocd:/" and browse...

BTW: your CD-Player seems to accept it as Audio-CD (showing the track), it just does not like the quality, otherwise it would say no disc or wrong media, but as you described at least it tries to play the disc

It's the CD player for a Geo Prizm, so maybe it's not sophisticated enough to have any error messages other than "Err." :)