Internal card reader doesn't work

Arvin Juan

I have an internal card reader on my laptop with the model specified above. When I open harddrake it is able to detect the device but when I try to insert a card nothing happens. I also tried to browse to /media but it can't find the device there.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

You don't need a new kernel. You just need to add:

mmc_block

to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.preload and you'll be fine. I have the same reader in my Tosh laptop.

this is _supposed_ to happen automatically (I did some work on it with TV prior to 2007 Spring's release). Um, let me find the bug...

http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=24054

could you guys comment there? Thanks.

I tried everything written in the link above. But still it doesn't work. I also tried running the patch but it hangs.

Please be sure to post that information to the bug (If you already have, good ;) ). Since this is a known bug, there is not much we at this forum can do to help - it's something Mandriva will need to fix :)

tyme: well, in most cases it should be possible to get it running manually - it's just a question of knowing whether the tifm or sdhci module is the one needed for the hardware in question, and loading it.

The bug relates to automatic configuration of these devices rather than support per se.

The bug relates to automatic configuration of these devices rather than support per se.
Sorry, I misunderstood what the issue was...I thought the device just wasn't working. My fault!

It actually doesn't work. Here are the contents of my /etc/modprobe.preload:

yenta_socket
tifm_7xx1
mmc_core
mmc_block
sdhci

The device can be detected but when I try to insert a card, it doesn't get recognized, there's no pop-up window.

Edited by Arvin Juan

Added tifm_sd to modprobe.preload and now it's working. Learned it from http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25133. Unfortunately, according to http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml...x12/xx21_driver, it doesn't support Memory Stick and xD/SmartMedia cards at the moment.

Hopefully, some time soon the updates will come out.