IBM T23 won't shutdown

Guest snoopsta

Guest snoopsta

Hello

Just got on the Linux bandwagon and installed Mandriva 2007 free. So far its great.

Being a newbie pls execuse me i these questions seem a bit Doh!

My laptop used to shutdown automatically. Now it says on a black screen with a mouse pointer taht does not move. I have to manually power off the laptop. Does anybody know why?

Also how to I improve the resolution. Everything looks a little blurry. I installed Mandrive 2005 Limited Edition prior to mandrive 2007 and the fonts and screen looked great.

I am think of creating a webpage. Any help on applications or editors that can help me?

how do I find out if PHP and MySql are installed. If they are not how does one install applications in Linux?

Also is their any Mandriva IBM T23 application so I can use the volume controls on the lpatop, make sure my machine is not over heating, take care of power management etc

Thank you for any help posted.

Welcome to the board.

I run mandrake on ThinkPad T41, so I can try to recall my steps.

T23 is a fairly old model (there is nothing wrong with that!), but it may be using a somewhat older power management technology. The first thing to try is to boot linux with some extra parameter. The ones you need to try are nolapic, noapic and/or acpi=off. Open Mandriva Control Center MCC (the icon shows a monitor with a wrench), there will be an entry there called Boot or similar. There you should be able to select whether you want/don't want APIC or local APIC. Clear checkboxes next to those words (that would mean noapic and nolapic). Save and reboot. You should also try different combinations. Post the result here.

Perhaps, your screen and videocard can support a higher resolution than the one Mandriva chose for you. Again, there is an entry in the MCC, under hardware, where you can set up/update the graphical server.

There are plenty of applications which you can use for web design. Check what you have in the Internet menu. Also, check out software management tools in MCC.

Also is their any Mandriva IBM T23 application so I can use the volume controls on the lpatop, make sure my machine is not over heating, take care of power management etc

Thank you for any help posted.

The application is called tpb.

There are great resources for linux on thinkpads. For instance check out this site http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/walter/geek...0-mandrake.html. There is also a thinkpad-linux maillist (I lost the link, but you can find it on google).

Guest Shishir

I have Toshiba M500 Portege laptop. I to am having the same problem while shutdown. I tried the following combinations but the problem still exits.

1. [unchecked] Enable APIC (E APIC)

2. [checked] Enable Local APIC (EL APIC)

Also

3. [unchecked] E APIC

4. [checked] EL APIC

Also with both the options checked. But I still have the problem with the shutdown. Can some one tell me why???

Edited by Shishir

If your machine is old, then use apm instead of acpi, so modify the boot parameters to have:

acpi=off apm=on apm=power-off

and that will probably do it for you. My machine that is five years old used to work with acpi and now doesn't. But doesn't power off with apm either, although it does intermittently.

I have Toshiba M500 Portege laptop. I to am having the same problem while shutdown. I tried the following combinations but the problem still exits.

1. [unchecked] Enable APIC (E APIC)

2. [checked] Enable Local APIC (EL APIC)

Also

3. [unchecked] E APIC

4. [checked] EL APIC

Also with both the options checked. But I still have the problem with the shutdown. Can some one tell me why???

In addition to Ian's suggestion, try unchecking both APIC and LAPIC; i.e, boot with noapic, nolapic.