3D problems with Mandriva Spring [solved]

Srikar

Im having more problems with 3D desktop on my HP dv9000t on Mandriva Spring. Whenever I try to enable 3D desktop by going to MCC-hardware-3D Desktop, the X-Server restarts. The same thing happens whenver I try thru 3ddrake through KDM. It asks for the admin password,after which the X-Server immediately restarts. I even dont get to see the 3d desktop options.Plz help as this is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Hardware Specs; Intel c2d 1.83 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia 7600 256 MB. I use the NVidia 9755 drivers downloaded from the nvidia site.

Edited by Srikar

Try using MCC ....Software....Installing Packages more. Then you can see more of the process of what is happening. When you type in ......dkms-nvidia...... into the search box you will be shown a list of all the dkms-nvidia driver packages and when you select one to install, it will tell you what other packages it will install as well.

If you are an expert with the CLI then fine but if not then that is what MCC was made for...to be a practical alternative, so why not use it.

Cheers. John.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just wanted to know onething, whats the difference between the 9755 drivers i download from the NVidia site and the 9755 drivers provided by Mandriva ? Which of the two are better ? Also, i solved the X-Server restart problem by reinstating the old xorg and then reinstalling the nVidia drivers from the nvidia website.

As far as I know there is no difference in the two drivers. The only difference is in the method of installing them.

Cheers. John.

Thanks for the clarification. Now 3D problems seem to be solved now. I running Xgl with beryl and it seems to be fine now. The white cube problem is also solved,by adding a autostart script in KDE with beryl --use-copy. Thanks everybody for all the help.