Help! sound devices no longer exist...

Mitchell

I new to linux, and have managed to stuff up totally my sound devices. I didn have sound to begin with, now I can even SEE the devices that give me sound, and have a lovely red cross on the volume icon. Tried installing all the Alsa bits I didn have, then uninstalling them, and reinstalling them again. i think Ie made things drastically worse. Please help if you can.

done that, goes through the configuration, but no luck. Says I'm ready to go, but sound icon still with red x, and when I run alsamixer I have no playback features.

This is becoming unfortunately comic. I had it all working just 10 minutes ago! Restored my system to a backup from a few days ago, stopped and started alsa service, and then I was able to use the volume icon to add all the playback features I was missing. Just to be sure I added all of them...perhaps I went overboard. Anyway, had all the playback sorted, still no sound...realized I needed to unmute my monitor (simple hardware issue, used buttons on screen). Then I had sound! Beautiful, glorious, sound! Volume icon still had red cross on it, removed it from panel, then added another one. Perfect! Sound, Icon was fine, if in another place on the panel...then my whole system crashed. Couldn´t use any shortcut keys to do anything...couldn´t even use them to reboot the system...(sigh) restarted computer as a last resort, and now every sound program I use crashes. Think this is because there are no playback features listed now...again...only the microphone. (this is using both alsamixer in the command line and using the volume icon, and going to preferences, etc.) Anyone have an idea of what is going on? So close, and yet so very, very far away...

Some days later now, and sound is all go. Think the original problem was that my monitor was probably muted...odd, as when I booted up Microsoft Windows it was fine...anyway.

The other problem was using (I think) "alsaconf" . I noticed in Mcc's list of software packages that this is not installed by default, apparently as Mandriva usually detects and configures the sound card for you. For some reason running this totally stuffed up my system. To get sound back I uninstalled all the Alsa packages, then reinstalled all of them again, with all the gstreamer packages I found (this was because my error messages ketp saying "gstremer plugin or device doesn't exist" (something like that anyway). Then I restored my computer to a backup some weeks earlier, and rebooted. Lost all my current email messages (no worry, as they were still on the server anyway), but my sound is back again!!! Overkill, I know, but I've no clue which plugins I needed and which I don't. The only package at this point I'm uninstalling is alsaconf. Few other applications aren't working though (from the packages I installed through Alsa) AlsaMixerGUI , Alsa Player, Alsa Patch Bay, and Alsa Jack Bay. Not sure what most of those do anyway, except for AlsaMixerGUI. AlsaMixerGUI is a graphical user interface for AlsaMixer. What's the point, really, as typing alsamixer in the command line bring up a graphical interface anyway.

So, I hope all this information helps someone I won't keep tabs on this topic anymore, but if anyone wants to contact me your welcome. Cheers!

~Mitchell