btnx in Mandriva 2007.1 [solved]

The following is a cut and paste from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=455656

"btnx (Button Extension) is a daemon that enables rerouting of mouse button events through uinput as keyboard and other mouse button combinations. For example, you can configure an extra mouse button to send a Ctrl+Alt+Right command to switch workspaces. This is especially useful for mice with more buttons than Gnome or KDE can properly handle, or mice that need evdev and a 100 step howto to register button events at all.

btnx now supports:

Logitech MX Revolution

Logitech VX Revolution

Logitech G5

Logitech MX-510

btnx will only work with these mice. It autodetects and autoconfigures the mouse."

Its ubunto installation instructions are:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential

$ sudo modprobe uinput

$ wget http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx-0.2.5.tar.gz

$ tar -xvvf btnx-0.2.5.tar.gz

$ cd btnx-0.2.5

$ make

$ sudo make install

I downloaded btnx-0.2.5.tar.gz and did the make and make install, but blow up with the make install. Obviously we don't have a "build-essential" but am not sure what I need. Do you know if an install of gcc would do the trick? Unfortunately I'm not at home right now so can't give the exact error message I get at compile time.

I'm working under the assumption that this btnx can be made to work with Mandriva. It would be nice if it does.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 4 weeks later...
I downloaded btnx-0.2.5.tar.gz and did the make and make install, but blow up with the make install. Obviously we don't have a "build-essential" but am not sure what I need. Do you know if an install of gcc would do the trick?

If you didn't receive any errors with 'make' you should have everything installed that you need to build this.

I don't have that mouse to try this, but I believe if you d/l the new version btnx-0.2.11 from ollisalonen.com.

Then follow the same instructions, except instead of doing

make install

do

make install-generic

it should work for you?