Announcing Fedora 7 (Moonshine)

Reiver_Fluffi

Here comes my Review: Great release. :)

On a more serious note: I'd prefer to review something different next time. Something that I haven't looked into yet or haven't used in a looong, long time.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ex-kde users that come to the better DE...... :unsure: (/me puts on flame resistant suite.)

I may be one of them.

I've been a KDE guy all along. But I recently installed both ubuntu (feisty) and fedora 7 and find that gnome does have its charms.

But here's another observation: one day after firefox 2.0.0.4 was released, ubuntu and fedora had it available as an update. We're still waiting for the mandriva firefox 2.0.0.4 update. I love mandriva 2007.1, but I do wish they could get out an update like firefox quicker. I know I can install it myself, but why should it take so long?

I was enabling sound yesterday, and then when I logged into Gnome I had virtually nothing. Didn't know what happened, but I guess I had this problem. I've enabled sounds again, so I've just made that change before I reboot and bugger it again.

Either it's me, or Fedora 7 is damn quick compared to other releases. This is just my initial opinion so far. Or maybe it's because I disabled cpuspeed and a whole other load of services I didn't need :D

Oh, one more thing. Don't mix freshrpms and livna. I ended up with a dependency hell. Now only using freshrpms, and hopefully I'll get my mplayer back and be able to play wmv's, etc.

Oh, one more thing. Don't mix freshrpms and livna. I ended up with a dependency hell.
Hear hear. I thought you had learned that well known lesson already... :P The problem is that livna and freshrpms use different versioning numbers for the same packages. No wonder, the two repos are incompatible. But the different repo maintainers are working on creating a standard for all of the repos so that the incompatibility will be a thing of the past. If everything goes well, the repos will be compatible when Fedora 8 is released.

Luckily I managed to recover. Good thing is the livna rpms have lvn in there name, so a simple:

rpm -qa | grep i lvn

listed what I'd installed. Then I just removed, plus the livna rpm, and then just used freshrpms after that. In all honestly, I don't know which repo is better. I suppose I could have chosen one or the other. Problem was a libdts.so.0 file which I couldn't get on livna, so I used freshrpm, which also didn't seem to have or need it for mplayer anyway.

It's actually the first time ever since freshrpms and livna together have caused me a problem. They were always OK on FC5 and FC6.

so who has the better "Unoffical" rpms? freshrpms or livna? I'm a complete nOOb to this fedora. I know that the two are incompatiable but that is about it. I've installed the livna rpm and setup my nvidia card. That's about it. Read--> no pc time. My eleven year old daughter uses my pc more than I do. Soon I will have her useing linux, I can tell.

None of them is better than the other. The difference between the repos is mainly that they have slightly different packages available. You might find package A at livna but not at freshrpms. But then, freshrpms has maybe package B available which ain't on the livna mirrors. So it depends which packages you need. I haven't encountered yet that I didn't find a package I needed on livna or freshrpms.