Mandriva doesn't load

yossarian

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I had a look at it, but I'm not certain that the kernel version is the source for my problems. I'm still using 2.6.17-13 version kernel. AFAIK it should be OK with the NVIDIA modules - and it used to work like charm.

But thanks anyway yossarian! :thumbs:

Yes, OK. I'm sorry, I read it in a haste.

I have been running the system with the latest (non-BETA) Nvidia drivers for as long as they have been out (this spring I guess). It's 9755-2 or something like that, if memory serves me right. And I've got the kernel-source and the dkms-nvidia.

Now that I think back, I seem to remember always having some problems installing this latest version (I've re-installed it several times). When in non-graphical mode (init 3), the installation package messes up the screen and the texts get messed up. And somewhere there in the middle of all this mess, it says that there is no precompiled kernel found and it always compiles this itself. I believe I have it, but the installation always says that I don't. No matter if I've just finished installing it (and compiling it).

I think it's saying that there is no precompiled kernel module for the nvidia driver. An easy way to check if it'll work or not is this.

lsmod | grep nvidia

if nothing listed, then the module isn't loaded. Then try:

modprobe nvidia

and then rerun the lsmod as above and see if it's listed. If it is, then the module exists in your kernel. If it doesn't, then there was a problem with the dkms-nvidia package and inserting it into your kernel. You will normally find that when you boot the system (press esc) and watch the boot process. Look for something that says inserting/injecting nvidia module into the kernel or the nvidia module exists in this kernel already. Wording might be slightly different, but end result is the same.

If it does, then dkms has done the job it's supposed to do. If it doesn't, or it says something else, then you've got problems with dkms-nvidia and your kernel/kernel-source.

I would then check to see what kernel and kernel source you've got installed, so:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

and both the kernel and kernel-source should be of the same version number. If it's not, then this is why the dkms-nvidia is failing to inject the module into your kernel.

An easy way to check if it'll work or not is this.

lsmod | grep nvidia

OK, this is what was listed.

nvidia			   7757080  22
		   i2c_core			   23168  1 nvidia

It was listed so I didn't modprobe...

I would then check to see what kernel and kernel source you've got installed, so:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

and both the kernel and kernel-source should be of the same version number. If it's not, then this is why the dkms-nvidia is failing to inject the module into your kernel.

And this is what I got from that... I believe at least the kernel-linus-devel-2.6.21.3-1mdv-1-1mdv2007.1 seems a little out of place... (What is it?)

madwifi-kernel-2.6.17-13mdv-0.9.2-1mdk
kernel-source-2.6.17.13mdv-1-1mdv2007.1
kernel-2.6.17.13mdv-1-1mdv2007.1
kernel-latest-2.6.17-13mdv
nvidia97xx-kernel-2.6.17-13mdv-9755-1mdk
kernel-linus-devel-2.6.21.3-1mdv-1-1mdv2007.1
kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.13mdv-1-1mdv2007.1

And without the 3D desktop I get over 10000 FPS with glxgears... So the 3D rendering seems to be operating.

What gives?

Edited by dude67