Mandriva doesn't load

yossarian

dude67, in your case the problem is very likely be be caused by the "testing" packages, which are known to be full of bugs (thus the name testing) and should not be used on a production machine. What you could do is to remove the packages that you installed from the testing sources, then reinstall the official Mandriva packages (=perform a rollback). In any case, you should submit a bug report, so the developers can fix the "testing" package.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arcrtic, thanks a lot for all your help. I think before I re-install I'll try to ask the guys at the installation forum. Not that they are going to tell me anything else, but I want to make sure (as much as possible) that it happened due to the power outage, and not because I wasn't careful enough.

What you could do is to remove the packages that you installed from the testing sources, then reinstall the official Mandriva packages (=perform a rollback).

Thanks arctic, I figured this was the way to do it. But how can tell which packages I've downloaded and installed from the testing sources? I was dumb enough ( :unsure: , who, me?) not to check what the packages were. I remember there beeing just a few of them - not too many. But the trick is, how to find them...

I really cannot figure out what was the package or packages I downloaded from the testing source. Is there any logs or anything showing which packages were downloaded and from where?

Another thing that came to mind was this: what if I uninstall X.org and re-install it from main sources (not the testing site)? I most likely need to be out of KDE, when doing that. in that case, what do I uninstall; X11? (urpme X11)? It is not the X11 itself, but it may do the trick.

I know that it is basically possible to track down the packages (Gowator did that once in order to fix a system, IIRC) but then you will have to compare the packages one by one on a looong list. My approach would be to boot into an init 3 environment (= Command line only) after disabling the testing repos, then uninstall kde (urpme kdebase) and x11 (urpme x11 should work) and reinstall the packages.

OK, I uninstalled kdebase and then tried to uninstall X11... There were so many packages and I didn't know which ones to remove, so I did them all... urpme x11 -a

That messed up everything. Even when I tried to re-install x11, it didn't work. I had to re-install the the system, but I kept /home partition (did not format it). It seems to be working - but I'm still in the process of updating it.

Edited by dude67

I managed to get my system back by reinstalling. I've now got 3D back all over again. So It' now back to normal for me. :D The configuring always takes some time and effort (moan, moan), but I'm OK now. Thanks arctic for your help and support!

How about you yossarian; did you managed to get the system up&running?

How about you yossarian; did you managed to get the system up&running?

I posted a question in Installing Mandriva forum. I lost hope, I just want to know if there is anything I can do in order to avoid it next time (besides buying a UPS). I think I'll do the fresh installation tomorrow.

I posted a question in Installing Mandriva forum. I lost hope, I just want to know if there is anything I can do in order to avoid it next time (besides buying a UPS).

Anyone who has anything further to contribute should do so here. There's no need to start a new thread. :)

I just wanted to drop by and tell you that I was too early in celebrating about getting 3D back. It was operating great, but now it's again acting up and I'm back in 2D-land. :sad:

I'm not very fond of Metisse, so it's either beryl/compiz or 2D.

Anyone who has anything further to contribute should do so here. There's no need to start a new thread. :)

OK, sorry. I sent you an apology also in mail. I even looked in the 'Posting Guidelines' to see if I'm doing anything wrong... Anyway, thanks for the help of everybody.

I just wanted to drop by and tell you that I was too early in celebrating about getting 3D back. It was operating great, but now it's again acting up and I'm back in 2D-land. :sad:

I'm not very fond of Metisse, so it's either beryl/compiz or 2D.

Hi dude,

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by 'acting up'. If you mean that the menus and windows are broken and scrambled, I had the same problem. I needed to reinstall the graphic card driver (Nvidia GeForce 3000-4000 series in my case), and it worked things out. As I plan to make the fresh installation tonight I will probably encounter this problem again, so If you want to know how to do it, hang around and I'll be back with all the details. And if it isn't the problem you meant, sorry for wasting your time. :) Hang still for one of the experts.

Well there was a lot of things wrong, but now I feel there must be something broken in the 3D (drak3d?). I couldn't get Beryl to work and I lost the windowframes, or whatever you call them - the bar that has the X top right... :) I couldn't find anything in the settings that would change that and just a while ago it lost all 3D cubes... I tried to set it on, but it crashed the Beryl manager.

It might be a good idea though to try to install the nvidia drivers anew... :unsure: