HowTo work with local Mailfolders?

qeldroma

I want to share ONE pop3-mailacount with SEVERAL users.

That's because there is ONE mailadress for the whole biz.

Then the mail has to be checked via evolution by the secretaries, but everyone has to look in the same folder(s)!!

So several people will have to use ONE folder, where the corporate mail comes in...

What to do??

Setting up fetchmail to put the mail in folder(s), then configuring evolution to use this folder??

Or another way??

The rights should be the same, as for the folders

It should be evolution, because they have been used to Outlook 2k....

I've tried. In short, I've come to the conclusion that it can't be done (mainly because of file permissions and locks). The solution I adopted is IMAP.

First, you have to install IMAP. It is in the "imap" package, along with POP3, both for the xinetd deamon (so they have to be enabled).

Then I configure procmail system-wide with /etc/procmailrc. In this file, I instruct to move all mails from certains senders into /var/spool/mail/share/INBOX

Then I create a user whose login is "sharemail", and password is "sharemail", and home-directory is "/var/spool/mail/share". Of course, I create this home-directory, and (as root) I do this:

# touch /var/spool/mail/share/INBOX

#chown -R sharemail.root /var/spool/mail/share

Then I launch a mail client (eg: Evolution) and configure it to access the (empty for now) IMAP account sharemail/sharemail on localhost. This action should initialize the INBOX file, so that it is seen as IMAP.

That's all. Now you can give the login/password to anyone you want to access this mail account.

On the local machine, you can even use a mbox mail checker so check for new mail. Just point it to the good file. The only problem is that it will always report one too many new mail, because the INBOX file initialization creates a IMAP header in the file, that is seen as a mail, even though it is not.

Yves.