Screen font rendering... again

knoba

Hi~

The font rendering on my screen is very poor. I've tried all the usuals;

Anti Aliasing

Force DPI

Changing fonts

I thought I'd post up 'the best' screenshots. The system is for my dad. His eyesight isn't great even with glasses and a big screen. Can I try anything else?

snapshot1.png

snapshot2.png

System Overview ~

O/S - Linux Mandriva Spring 2007.1 'One' + Updates

Ker - Linux localhost 2.6.17-13mdvlegacy #1 SMP Fri Mar 23 19:05:24 UTC 2007 i686 Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz GNU/Linux

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache Retail (E6600)

RAM - OCZ 2 x 1Gb PC2-6400 DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 ATI Cert. Dual Ch. (OCZ2A8002GK)

M/B - ABIT IL9 Pro i945P Socket 775 ATX (IL9 Pro)

GRA - Innovision 3D 256MB DDR3 DVI-D PCI-E Graphics Card (7600GST)

SCR - Iiyama Pro Lite TFT E2200WS DVI-D (IIYMO269)

Hello anna and thanks.

Well... My dad has a bit of trouble with reading them and has said as much. He's so new to computers and the Internet (74 yo) so I'm trying to make his excellent venture into cyber space as enjoyable as possible. They kinda hurt my eyes after a while too. I think the letters and character shapes are not well defined and tend to be a bit blurry. I find my eyes trying to focus in and out to compensate like yo-yos' (even thinking about it makes me dizzy :D )

I'm not great at Linux but I was wondering if anyone had a slightly more involved solution that I could learn something about and try to implement for him.

Dumb question - is the resolution of the display set to the native resolution of your monitor? Normally a monitor will show lots of possible resolutions, but only the native, proper resolution will be displayed properly. Before I managed to persuade Mandriva to show the real native resolution of my laptop screen, it all looked a bit blurry and wonky, but when I tried to make screenshots to demonstrate the problem, the screenshots always looked fine on other people's screens!

Having said that, your Firefox grab does show some slight colour fringing on the vertical letters like l and i, which might get annoying. Search for other threads on here about Firefox fonts, maybe that will help?

knoba, am I right that your dad's monitor is a 22 inch TFT screen?

--> Iiyama Pro Lite TFT E2200WS

Your screenshots are 1024x768, is this the configured resolution or did you scaled down the screenshots?

neddie already had a advice to set the native resolution for this monitor. Maybe MDV did not do this automatically?

A TFT should run @60 Hz (somebody please correct me if i am wrong), and the resolution could be higher than 1280x1024.

You can change the monitor type and the resolution in the MCC.

My 19 inch TFT has a native resolution of 1280x1024@60 Hz, and it looks great, and my (old) eyes don't have a problem. But I need to increase the size of the fonts, at least in a webbrowser.

Edited by anna

Thanks neddie~ (dumb questions - with a nut like mine? I wish!). I've only just really looked (Doh!) and Iiyama say the native resolution for the monitor is 1,8 MegaPixel (1680 x 1050). The whole reason I went for a good sized monitor, in the first place, is so it can be set to 1024x768 for pater. I guess I just want the best for him.

I use a 17" set to 1280x1024 and think that's extravagant. :unsure:

So... no anna the screen shots aren't scaled down. I have the monitor set on custom (with the proper sync ranges) as theres no easy entry in MCC for it. The video card is also listed as a 7900gt but this ones only 7600gst. I'm just not sure what changes will make a decent difference to the final output and I'm a little fearful of messing around too much with the hardware settings as I wont be here if he gets probs later on.

I guess i'll point him here for support. All the folks here are so clever and generous (brings a tear to my eye and a smile too). :D

I'll try this new "native mode" way of living that you both suggest and muck about with the fonts, styles et al. I may come back a different person though....

Thank you all for your time and efforts you are much appreciated.

Eek, 1680x1050 is a widescreen screen, right? Then I'm not at all surprised that putting 1024x768 on it looks funny. I imagine everything is stretched and blocky, right?

You will be much, much happier if you set Mandriva to 1680x1050 to match the monitor. After that, you can muck about with the fonts. I imagine you will want to set the font size bigger, and then everything will be much clearer than it is now.

Your rescue tip if you get stuck, is to go to a full-screen console and run

XFdrake

- this will let you reset the display settings if you manage to get it so that X won't start any more :)