Fedora 7 coming soon

grendal

I was just wondering if the fedora users here are excited about the upcoming release. How do you think it stacks up to Spring, or other recent Distro releases? I'm sure someone here has tried the betas, so what can everyone expect from the merger of repositories. As I take it, they didn't merge until test 3? Since I'm not a fedora user, what difference does this really make?

I guess I'm like a customer at a store waiting to be sold on a new product. Nothing wrong with what I have now, I just saw the shiny box/ad and what to know more.

I was just wondering if the fedora users here are excited about the upcoming release.
My first impressions can be found here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=40206
How do you think it stacks up to Spring, or other recent Distro releases?
Comparably good. Although fedora is not as much aimed at the desktop as Mandriva and more aligned to the OSS principles, both distros are imho very, very cool..
I'm sure someone here has tried the betas, so what can everyone expect from the merger of repositories. As I take it, they didn't merge until test 3? Since I'm not a fedora user, what difference does this really make?
Distrowatch gave a good answer to that:

"after merging what the developers used to call the "core" and "extras" package repositories, the distribution has now become simply Fedora. The merge should simplify both the package management part of the distribution (there won't be a need for two different repositories in the yum configuration file) and the ability of the project provide up-to-date, well-maintained packages from contributing developers - all in one central repository."

Give it a try I say, only you will know if it works for you, if it does, great, if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world.

Too true. Although it does seem to drive my family nuts when I change distros, then go back to Mandriva.

It drives my wife nuts. I'm constantly between distros, and then back again :D

Incidently, I will be checking Fedora 7 against my hardware to see what it's like for my new lappy.

It drives my wife nuts. I'm constantly between distros, and then back again
Hello, bro. :D Same here. But now, I will probably settle on Mdv2007.1 as the main distro as it works with my printer. But I still have a second partition on the main desktop-system that I can use for playing around without my girlfriend noticing it. :P