urpmi --auto-select

I noticed in the HowToForge tutorial on setting up Sprint 2007, the author does a urmpi --auto-select to bring his system up-to-date after install

I like the idea of a single command udpate, and 1/2 the time I feel like I don't know what I'm doing in rpmdrake when doing updates...

Is it safe to do so? how are packages auto-selected? does it only grab fixed, or fixes and updates, or fixes and updates and "missing" packages (that last one seems unlikely as it's ahrd to define missing).

What is plf is in the repository, will it replace mdv packages with the plf equivalent if the plf is a later version?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I used the --auto-select option for years now and never had any problems with it. It simply applies all packages and will solve dependencies if necessary. It grabs updated packages, bugfixes and security-updates when they hit the mirrors. Now, with the kernel-latest package, it also updates the kernel automatically (previously you had to update the kernel manually).

PLF packages will only very rarely replace MDV packages as PLF usually provides packages that are NOT available on the official Mandriva mirrors.

With this command, you will be prompted with a list of all updates to be applied and a prompt as to whether you want to proceed (y/N).

'urpmi --auto-select' will find all newer packages from all your configured sources (main, contrib,updates, non-free, free, plf, backports (if you've enabled it, etc etc). To be sure the hdlists are up-to-date, you could do an 'urpmi.update -a' first. Check that you've got all the repositories with easy-urpmi.

If you just want those new packages from the updates repositories, you would use the command: 'urpmi --update --auto-select'

Yes, the plf versions of mandriva packages typically (always?) will have a version number such that it will replace the base mandriva package.

Is it safe to do so? Always check the list before proceeding. Also, you could always use the MCC packages tool. Make sure you know what repositories are configured and that you have all of them (there are a lot of new ones with recent Mandriva versions). Easy-urpmi is your friend.

Also, see this excellent thread started by the brilliant arctic:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=40552&hl=

You can also do a:

urpmi --auto-update

which will do the urpmi.update -a and the auto-select in one command. If you really don't want to say yes to what you're downloading, add the --auto parameter, but most people don't recommend this, as this is more likely to break your system if you don't know what changes it's gonna make by packages added or removed.

There's no definitive answer to the question, really.

Here's what urpmi --auto-select does:

it takes the list of all installed packages. It then compares the versions of each to the versions available in every repository you have defined in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg . If a newer version of any installed package is available in any repository, it is installed.

Modifiers:

the --media parameter allows you to control which media will be used. for instance, urpmi --auto-select --media main,contrib will only consider packages in the 'main' and 'contrib' repositories and ignore any others you have defined.

any package listed in /etc/urpmi/skip.list will not be updated by a --auto-select .

so, basically, the answer is 'it depends on what repositories you have configured'. If you only have safe repositories configured - the official Mandriva /release and /updates repositories - it should not cause any problems.