where did locate go?

papaschtroumpf

It's not included by default in 2007.1 Spring.

To get it, install the mlocate package available from the standard repositories.

yeah thanks!

Why is it not included through? is there a better way to find files now? Is that what that beagle icon that I haven't yet played with is about? how about command line

Also I assume installing the package automagically set a cron job to run updatedb and all that jazz?

As Mandriva is desktop oriented, I guess that they voluntarily left mlocate out of the default installation ( I don't believe their "lack of space" argument. My DVD still has some 400 MB of free space left!). Now that there are tools like beagle, they probably don't expect people to know of and/or use mlocate. Let's face it: Many people are happy that they can do their searches without using the command line, which is kind of scary and ugly... :rolleyes:

Beagle is hardly a replacement for mlocate
Well, mlocate still can't beat a well written find - especially since find doesn't require you to update a database.

but surely it's heaven sent, after the ever infamous kat disaster! :P
Beagle was around before Kate [edit: Kat, rather] - I still don't know why Mandriva felt the need to re-invent the wheel on that one :screwy:

Either that or he was thinking of a female called kate at the time ;)

I always have problems with find, I guess I'm not doing it right.

find / -name bit_of_filename

Well, mlocate still can't beat a well written find - especially since find doesn't require you to update a database.

but mlocate is sure a helluva lot faster because it has that db.

and as for the database, mlocate, unlike the old slocate, takes only a matter of seconds to update it's database as it does it incrementally. slocate on the other hand, every time, rebuilds it from scratch when it updates. By default in just about every distro, the slocate/mlocate update is usually run at midnight.

James

but mlocate is sure a helluva lot faster because it has that db.
Well, I've only used slocate (never tried mlocate...I don't think), and most of the time I had to do an updatedb before locating, because I was trying to find something I had just installed :lol2:

no, it really is space.

we don't manually decide whether every single package in the distro is in or out of the discs. that would take ages.

each package is assigned an importance level, and the first level gets on the discs first, then the second, then the third, etc...

and the process cuts off when it hits whatever size limit the person running mkcd specified.

no-one did anything specific to include or exclude mlocate from the ISO build. it just happened not to get on under this system.