3D not installed by default?

papaschtroumpf

I thought Mandriva would install 3D drivers by default but it doesn't appear to.

Is there a compatibility problem with my hardware? I have an older GeForce 2 card.

I

m a little reluctant to "play around" with this since last time I tried I throuroughly messed up my X settings.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

so I decided that the best way to learn was to be brace and give it a try...

Sinec 9755 is the latest version according to the nvidia website, I installed the 9755 package from mandriva (looks like ther eis a matching one in plf but I ignored that one).

The package text says you also need to install nvidia-kernal, but there wasn't a choice for nvidia-kernel-9755 (there was a plf one) so I assumed that means it was already installed.

did the install, rebooted (maybe I only needed to restart the X server?) and I am able to get into X and KDE, but runnning glxgears shows a framerate of 279, so hardware acceleration is not on (without even considering 3D)

I thought there used to be an nvidia-settings package, but I don;t see it

how do I tell that I installed the drivers properly?

how do I enable hardware acceleration?

you need the legacy drivers (7x.xx series), not the latest and install kernel-(legacy)source-stripped-latest and kernel-(legacy-)latest or whichever version of the kernel you use (i suspect legacy since you have an ancient graphics card)

No problems, as long as you use the "non free" nvidia legacy driver.

You shouldn't have any 3D effects using the "nv" or "vesa" xorg "free" driver.

By the way, if your sig tells the truth and you are using LE 2005, then

a. there are no 3D effects for LE 2005,

b. there are no PLF repos for LE 2005 anymore, either - so you have to get the 7185 legacy driver installer from nvidia and compile it yourself (you will need, as already mentioned, kernel-source-stripped minimum, while full kernel source will also do).

I installed the 9755 package from mandriva...

Mixing 2007 and 2005 repositories is a sure way to screw everything- again.

Edited by scarecrow

No problems, as long as you use the "non free" nvidia legacy driver.

You shouldn't have any 3D effects using the "nv" or "vesa" xorg "free" driver.

By the way, if your sig tells the truth and you are using LE 2005, then

a. there are no 3D effects for LE 2005,

b. there are no PLF repos for LE 2005 anymore, either - so you have to get the 7185 legacy driver installer from nvidia and compile it yourself (you will need, as already mentioned, kernel-source-stripped minimum, while full kernel source will also do).

Mixing 2007 and 2005 repositories is a sure way to screw everything- again.

oops sorry, haven't updated my sig in ages. I'm running a new install of Sprint 2007

According to the package text, my GeForce2 card should be supported by the non-legacy drivers (TNT RIVA = GeForce 2)

According to the package text, my GeForce2 card should be supported by the non-legacy drivers (TNT RIVA = GeForce 2)

Negative.

Your card will not work even with the newer legacy driver (9631), you do need the 71XX series' one.

Here is the analytical list (which applies to all distros, not just OpenSuse).

http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html#23

On the opposite side, the 71XX legacy driver will work with all nvidia cards up to Geforce 5 series, plus a few Series 6 models.

Edited by scarecrow

ah, thanks. of course there is a myriad of 71xx related packages, so I just picked one that seemed to match my kernel number and be an official (rather than plf) package

rebooted

... no difference. I don;t see the nvidia logo at X startup, and glxgears is still stuck at 280

how can I tell what driver I am currently running?

I went in MDC, config graphic server:

where it shows it detected my card as a GeForece 2 71xx, instead of clicking cancel, I clicked OK (without making any changes), it then tried to install packages but came up with "Could not install dkms-nvidia71xx packages!"

Great, even the automated installer is confused!

Then it told me there was a proprietary driver, would I want to use it? I said yes, it showed me a summary page showing it wanted to use the "nvidia" Xorg driver, and that acceleration was turned off

upon restarting X it did show the nvidia log, so I think I'm back to square 1

I used to have hardware acceleration, so it should be possible to get it working.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

gah! I am more confused than ever, even thoguh it said no HW optimization, glxgears now scroes at o 2070, so it looks it is indeed enabled in some way.

Furthermore, the MDC hardwaare applet now seems to be reay to allow me to use Metisse

I guess I'm where I wanted to be, although I have no clue how I got there....

let's see if Metisse runs at all with my setup.

Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf either here by copypaste, or put it in some pastebin space.

Pass to your console

glxinfo | grep direct

Do you get something like "direct rendering: Yes" ? If you do, then the nvidia driver *is* installed, and you just need some xorg tuning.

Edited by scarecrow