Installation screen

Aul

Hello,

I downloaded Mandriva 2007 Spring from Mandriva.com, but I can't install it. I run installation file under Windows XP, the installation screen opens, but no links can be clicked on it. What should I do? It's the first time I have ever tried to installed Linux, so please help me through the installation process step-by-step. Thank you in advance!

Aul

You need to set your pc to boot from the DVD to install. Then follow the installation wizard.

So, do I need to make a copy directly from that image file? When I look into that it shows that there are only a folder named i586 and a file named release-notes.txt in the root directory. Is that really a bootable image file?

I can't answer that, I only got the "One" CD, and its root looks like this:

dr-xr-xr-x 4   2048 Apr 11 20:40 boot/
dr-xr-xr-x 2   6144 Apr 11 20:40 isolinux/
-rw------- 1  44719 Apr 11 20:40 LISEZMOI.pdf
dr-xr-xr-x 2   2048 Apr 11 20:40 loopbacks/
-rw------- 1  41584 Apr 11 20:40 README.pdf

However, if you downloaded the file from mandriva.com, and it's called something like "mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso" and you calculated the md5 sum and it's something like 01a36aa86f148b1b22092dcc0fe2a745, and inside the readme.txt it says "Changes and Updates for the Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring release", then you're probably ok. Try booting from it, and see what it says.

Yes, I downloaded that .iso from that site, but there is no such directory as boot/ on it. It doesn't look like it's a bootable image.

it's a livecd, all files are inside the filesytem, which would lokk like a single very large file, just burn the cd/dvd with your favourite image burn software (alcohol, nero whatever) and boot it, it will work (most likely.... if the md5 is okay)

Would you please tell me what files/folders do you see in root directory when you explore your DVD? I need to know if I have a right image file. Thanks!

I have the powerpack DVD, but I think you should see a directory /i586 and a file called release-notes.txt. The Boot sector of the DVD is not browsable in a file manager, like Explorer, just as the MBR of your hard drive is not browsable.

Jim

I have the powerpack DVD, but I think you should see a directory /i586 and a file called release-notes.txt. The Boot sector of the DVD is not browsable in a file manager, like Explorer, just as the MBR of your hard drive is not browsable.

Jim

Thanks, Jim! You are right. These two things are the only things I can see. That's why I thought something was wrong with the image.

No, the image is absolutely correct. simply burn a DVD from the iso file and you should be fine. However I recommend not to burn at the highest speed possible as the risk to get a bad burn is higher then. Burn at e.g. x4.1 speed.

Sorry, I thought you'd already burnt the DVD and were looking at the file system on the disk.

You're looking inside the iso file before burning?

What did you mean by "the installation screen opens, but no links can be clicked on it" ?

Sorry, I thought you'd already burnt the DVD and were looking at the file system on the disk.

You're looking inside the iso file before burning?

What did you mean by "the installation screen opens, but no links can be clicked on it" ?

Thanks, guys! I got the DVD burned and tried to start installing. Before that I created a 27 GB partition for Linux. I don't know if that's not enough or what, but I can't get it installed. Maybe I am selecting something wrong during the installation process. Is there any step-by-step tutorial that would help me through the installation?